What Are My Figurines Made Of?

A few years ago I picked up a bunch of small animal figurines at an auction. They were quite detailed, but you could see they were homemade.

One person I asked said they might be from a very old craft which some how hardend flour and salt into a molding clay that has considerable weight. This clay is way past plaster. It can only break in chunks.

I was wondering if anyone out there might know about such a substance.

The dog I am holding right now is 5 inches long about an inch and a half wide, yet weighs well over a pound in bulk.

Yes, I know what the clays used in kilns are like. They aren't this.

I got these animals in Amish country. I have never seen anything like them since.

A clue all these animals are very white. A few have been glazed.
ANYBODY - PLEASE? - Mr.Thrifty

Would it be possible to post a picture of your figurines to help us to figure out what they are made of.

I doubt a picture would do much .You have to feel the weight and texture of these figures. Has anybody heard of such a clay made with Salt/Flour and such .An No it isn's in anway PLAY DOUGH. Play Dough dries out and has lttle weight.

I have tried researching this stuff on the web. Maybe somebody can give other websites I might have missed.

They may be old chalk figurines they used to give away at carnivals, circuses, etc. If they are, they may be worth a pretty penny!

On an antique show, they showed a group of figurines made from old electrician's porcelain, which could be moulded, painted and fired to keep its shape. I can't remember the name of it, but it was as brittle and white as top quality porcelain. I believe they used it in the beginning / middle of the century for electrical work.

A salt and flour dough is made from 2 c flour, 1/2 c salt and 1/2 c warm water and you knead it for about 10 minutes until the texture is smooth, not grainy. It is worked as you like and baked in a slow oven(200 degrees) until completely dry.

I have a Victorian couple made out of the same stuff you are talking about. But a lot of the paint is worn off. I've been holding onto it for years because I have never seen anything like it before.

Crafts AdviceJanuary 22, 2005
online shopping
Buying Tom Rubel Retired Angels
Broken Porcelain Doll
Repairing Broken Porcelain Dolls and Figurines
Firgurine of a woman in a red dress.
Dusting Fragile Figurines
Porcelain Figurine
Cleaning Smoke Residue From Ceramic and Porcelain Figurines
🎉
🎄