Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Lactose Free Milk Substitute That Tastes Like Milk

Does lactose free milk, rice milk, etc. taste anything like regular milk? I've started having some problems drinking milk. I don't want to buy one of these products finding out it doesn't taste anything like milk and having to put it down the drain.

By Betty

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Pixiedust7 [7]02/13/2011

My friend Bill is lactose intolerant and loves the Lactaid and Smart Balance Lactose-Free Fat-Free milks, and even store brands. He says it tastes just like regular milk. He also uses "milk pills" because he eats regular cheeses and must counteract them. Bill convinced me to use Fat Free milk, because I need to diet, and I like it too. They really make it taste as good as whole milk. (I am not lactose intolerant - I use regular fat-free milk.) If you try it and don't like the taste for drinking or cereal, you can use up the rest in baking or pudding, so it doesn't all have to go to waste.

By Gina02/10/2011

So Delicious Coconut Milk tastes more like cow's milk than any other non-dairy beverage. They even have an unsweetened version! My kids love it, and the little one who doesn't like regular milk loves it, too!

RE: Lactose Free Milk Substitute That Tastes Like Milk

By Anonymous [848]02/08/2011

Betty, I want to let you know that the reason I suggested 2% milk is because it's low in fat and because it's low in fat it moves through your intestinal system much more quickly than whole fatty milk does so it is a much less likely chance of having intolerance symptoms.

By Jennifer [21]02/08/2011

Try the other milks, like soy and rice. My son who is three and has kidney disease, has rice milk in his cereal and oatmeal, and he doesn't seems to mind the difference. I've tried it too and it seem fine. I put it in most recipes that call for milk, that don't require the fat from the milk. I myself, use, skim milk, because I had my gallbladder removed and cannot handle any other milk except rice and skim milk.

By Joan [2]02/08/2011

2% milk contains more lactose than whole milk as it's more concentrated. If you miss the taste and texture of whole milk then try 2% Lactaid milk. Skim Latcaid tastes more like 2% in regular milk. I cook with it and make my own yogurt. Powdered milk is high in lactose. I can have small amounts of products with lactose like a 1" cube of cheddar but more than that and I suffer the consequences.

By Anonymous [848]02/07/2011

Have you tried 2% milk? It might make a huge difference because of your possible milk intolerance and is easily adjustable flavor wise once you get used to the non-rich whole milk flavor.

Tone102, small dairy farms and organic dairy farms treat their cows very well and every human's body needs different types of nutrients so dairy cows do supply necessary nourishment. One example is that dairy products give a body so much more natural calcium than double and triple the amounts of veggies do and without the risk of not receiving enough zinc. Just food for thought. ;-)

By susan winship [4]02/07/2011

Aged cheeses (cheddar, Swiss) are better than Jack.
Breyer's makes a lactose-free vanilla ice cream. I also like Tofutti. The less cream there is in milk the more you'll react (or I react) to the lactose, skim milk, forget it. I can only get by with 1/4 c. of regular milk. I tolerate fat-free 1/2& 1/2 but then I only use maybe 1/4c at a time. I don't like any of the substitutes (so you see, everyone is different). If there's a health food restaurant near you, ask if they have non-lactose milks and explain your problem and see if you can taste what they have

By Holly [350]02/07/2011

I sympathize with you.
The only way to find out which non-dairy milks you prefer is to buy the smallest size of each one and try it for yourself.
I like Silk soy milk (after trial and error), but have found that store brands are OK, too. Depends what is available in your neighborhood. Just be aware that very few of the rice, nut, and soy milk chocolate milks, eggnog, and coffee creamers are not diet products (and that's why they taste to great!). Read labels. Keep a chart and give ratings. Different stores have different brands of these milks. Don't forget to shake before serving.
You will like the non-dairy frozen ice cream substitutes. All of them.

Happy testing!

By Toni [3]02/07/2011

Please do try all the non dairy milks out there. They are great. Aside from doing your part to end the horrific cruelty to the dairy cows (sorry but it is what it is) non dairy Mylks are good. I drink coconut,rice,almond and use soy a lot though the latter is my least favorite for drinking. I am Vegan but my carnivore son who lives with me cannot consume lactose and I would not have cow's milk here anyway and he really does like the almond milk for his cereals and really likes the soy chocolate milk. Good luck. Can't hurt to try!

By Liz [15]02/06/2011

Lactose-free milk is too sweet for me. I'm much happier taking a lactose enzyme tablet and drinking regular milk. Obviously, everyone's tastes are different. I'd recommend buying the smallest container of lactaid milk available the first time around. That way, you can determine what works for you. Good luck!

By Jill [4]02/06/2011

Lactose-free milk is simply milk to which the lactase enzyme has been added, since lactose intolerant people don't produce it (or produce enough of it). The resulting milk is a tiny bit sweeter than regular milk, but this is barely noticeable.

My daughter is lactose intolerant, and when she is home, I buy the lactaid (but the store brand), as if she doesn't use it up, I am happy to drink it. She also likes the "light" vanilla soymilk. She has also found that if she can get the milk with lactobacillus acidopholus, it agrees with her, too.

Similarly, yogurts with the L. Acidopholus agree with her. Most cheeses are OK, but she gets lactaid cottage cheese.

But I would not hesitate to get the Lactaid types of milk. Good luck.