Cleaning Teflon

Many of us have Teflon coated cookware. Cleaning these pots, pans, and bakeware must be done with the appropriate cleaners so as not to damage the coating. This is a guide about cleaning Teflon.

Egg frying in Teflon pan on gas stove.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 3, 2012 Flag

How can I clean my scummy Teflon pots and pans? Actually, this is an answer to that question from my mother.

1. Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda and half a cup liquid bleach to 1 cup of water.
  2. Ad

3. Pour mixture into Teflon pot or pan.
  4. Bring mixture to a simmer (not boiling) for 10 minutes, but no more.
  5. Pour out mixture into sink. Repeat if needed.

By Kenn

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 24, 2011 Flag

Please help! I burned some food in a Teflon coated aluminum saucepan. I think it is FaberWare. The gray Teflon turned black. Is it still safe to use?

By Tashi from Coastal, NC

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No and don't buy anymore. I think they should stop making them.

No, Teflon is unsafe generally and even worse at very high temperatures. Throw all Teflon away and use only stainless steel or glass. I threw mine away finally and am using stainless with oil spray for no sticking. I agree with Lilac that it should not exist.

Absolutely no! But don't just throw it way! You can recycle it or take the handle off and use as a planter or use it to store small items under your kitchen or bathroom sink. :-)

Do you mean old fashioned teflon from decades ago or the newer non-stick stuff?

Read More Answers...

October 3, 2010 Flag

How do I clean off the black "baked on crust" on a Teflon pan? The cause of "crust" is not known.

By Jason_bb from Melbourne, Australia

I recommend tossing the pan for the simple reason that teflon products flake into the food, and can cause all kinds of medical problems! 100 percent of nursing mothers tested all had the ingredients from teflon in their breast milk sadly; yet our Gov's seem determined to not remove harmful things from the market place, due to the simple fact that they get enormous wealth from taking from us our health!

Cast iron is excellent! the iron which your body needs cooks off into the food making it extremely healthy for you!

Glass is extremely healthy to cook in; look at thrift sales, and stores for vision ware, pyrex and such; this includes your baking pans; yes, I just picked up 2 glass pyrex pie pans for around $1 each at the as is store; also got my loaf and cake pans yards sales;

Revere ware and some stainless steel is most excellent; might check out www.hsn.com; Todd English and Joy Mangano created an excellent green ware; sign up to get emails when they are on; they have great buys, many times flex pay; which means you can pay over several months without any interest at all! And when they have today's specials is when you can really save!

Far better to have to scrub a little and have you and your loved ones healthy!

I was going to add feedback but MzScarlett covered everything. I got rid of all my teflon and went with stainless.

How do you prevent food from sticking in a Non-Teflon coated frying pan? We have one S.S. pan that we fried scrambled eggs in and they stuck to the bottom of the pan. (I believe we melted butter in it first and then added the eggs.)

March 12, 2010 Flag

How do you get rust off of a Teflon coated baking dish?

By Denise from Benecia, CA

Sprinkle some Baking Soda on the rust and then add few drops of vinegar. If there is rust, that means that the TFE has been chipped away. Throw the pan away!

Yes, if rust is coming through the Teflon coating then it's no longer safe to use for food but instead of throwing it away please, please recycle it somehow! We are way too much of a throw away world :-(

If you don't have a local recycling center that will take it you can always use it for seeding plants, as a potted plant water catcher, an inbox for your desk, to place cleaning supplies in under your sink, etc. The sky is the limit in how you can reuse it! I have a large pot that was doing the same thing and I now use it as a pan to put warm soapy water in to soak my feet when they're sore or before giving myself a pedicure ;-)

You could post another request for ideas for how to use it for crafts, too, and I'll bet you'll receive lots of ideas ;-)

My daughter has a rusted pan she lines it with aluminum foil or non stick baking & cooking paper paper before she cooks.

September 18, 2001 Flag

I was wondering if anyone knows how to clean a teflon coated griddle that has a dark buildup of cooking oil and cooking spray and is very sticky to the touch. I just can't seem to get it off. Also, I used my steam iron to apply a patch to some fusible web and now my iron seems to stick when I try to iron something and will not iron smoothly. I tried some white vinegar on a paper towel while the iron was hot and it helped alittle, but it still drags when I try to iron something. Does anyone have any idea on how to remove this buildup?

By Kathy

Try barkeepers friend, a cleanser, for your griddle.

yes, you have to get a griddle cleaner which looks like a brush with metal hairs, this you can get at smart and final for less than 3 dollars and they mostly come in red blue or white handles.

Use washing powder such as tide arm and hammer etc. Put it on the pan with just a little water just enough to make a thick paste. Use a blow dryer to heat chemical solution then wipe clean.

I can't find anything about cleaning a clothes iron. It is scorched & I need to get it off in order to iron clothes & not leave a stain. Does that one response of baking soda w/a damp cloth work?

Read More Answers...

February 23, 2011 Flag

My husband burnt grease onto my Teflon pan; any ideas how to get that gunk out? I've tried baking soda and peroxide. Any help would really be appreciated.

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

Try soaking a few hours with liquid laundry softener.I have also used cream of tartar to simmer awhile and that has worked.

I have used straight ammonia and that seems to work.

October 3, 2010 Flag

I have a Jenn-Air gas range, only 3 years old. One side is a Teflon coated griddle. I am unable to remove the black "stuff" that has accumulated in patches on it. The surface has no scratches, it just looks dull and yucky. Any suggestions?

By Joyjoy2 from VA

Answers:

How to Clean Teflon

I too have Jenn-Air range with 6 burners and a Teflon griddle. I cannot for the life of me figure out what will clean this mess. I have tried vinegar, baking soda, Brillo, lemon juice, carbonated soda, Soft Scrub, etc. I've tried everything that I've read on other blogs that are safe and non-abrasive, but still have an ugly mess. I thought about ordering a new one from Jenn-Air, but that would only put me back with the same mess later on down the line. I think I'm just going to find some kind of stainless steel cover for it. If anyone has a solution, please reply! (01/31/2010)

By lagoinlb

September 17, 2009 Flag

I have a relatively new Teflon coated baking pan. Hard as I try, I can't completely clean off the slight residue left by the cooked food. I'm afraid to use any abrasive cleanser that would scratch the coating. How should I get the residue off?

Thank you.
Nancy from Pennsylvania

Answers:

How to Clean Teflon

You can buy Teflon-safe scrubby sponges, but I use a scrubby that my sister crocheted out of that netting you buy by the yard in the fabric store. It doesn't scratch the Teflon, and it works as good as an S.O.S. pad! If you don't have anyone that crochets, you can get some of the netting and fold in half at least once and wrap it around a scrub brush and rubber band it on the top. You can also buy those plastic S.O.S. looking pads and those work okay. (06/15/2004)

By Tawnda

How to Clean Teflon

For Nancy in Pennsylvania trying to clean her Teflon. Use baking soda on a damp cloth and rub on the stains. This will take them off and not hurt the Teflon. (06/15/2004)

By Connie.

How to Clean Teflon

I would try straight white vinegar, too. It seems to work well on grease and residue in general. (06/16/2004)

By Anne H.

How to Clean Teflon

Use electric dish washing powder and soak overnight in the solution. Will clean up easy next day. (06/16/2004)

By Jacque

How to Clean Teflon

If you are using a cooking spray (such as PAM) it will leave a sticky residue that is almost impossible to get off. Instead use oil brushed on with a pastry brush. When I first heard this I thought it was dumb, but since I quit using the sprays I have not had to replace any Teflon Pans. Also, Teflon should never be used over anything higher than Medium heat. I don't buy the sprays at all any more. Amazing how much easier it is to wash, not just Teflon, but casserole dishes, pans, etc. Good luck (06/17/2004)

By Ladyvmh.

How to Clean Teflon

Thank you to Connie who said to use baking soda. It worked for me, woo hoo! (04/28/2008)

By kindsey

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesSeptember 6, 2011
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Teflon Pan
Cooking With Teflon Cookware
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 2:44:44 AM on 10.0.0.16 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.