Making Curtains Longer

If the curtains you already have, or the ones you really want to buy are too short for the windows, perhaps you could lengthen them. This is a guide about making curtains longer.

October 7, 2008 Flag

Here is a tip to add a little pretty length to curtains so you don't have to spend to replace them if you move and they no longer fit. Add ribbon or trim or how many even rows of yo yo's needed to make them the right length. You could even add width to them the same way.

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO

A lot of decorator shows feature drapes with bands of color along the bottom. The designers then match this color with pillows and other accessories. No one would be the wiser. Great tip

Pat, Thank you for that idea I do have a favorite pair of curtains that are too short. Liz Bisbee, Az

I was just geting ready to pass on a set of curtains that I like to my daughter. What an exceptional idea to personalize them for her apartment.

What are yo yos? - I'm in Australia and the only ones I know of are children's toys - thanks

<b>Editor's Note: </b> I think this is referring to little rosettes that are assembled with circles of fabric used in quilting.

May 17, 2013 Flag

How can I add 9 inches length to my drapery? Bullion fringe is my first choice, but priced too high or 100 yds minimum order. Any ideas? I only need three yards. Thanks!

By Yvonne G.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Lengthen them with a band of contrasting fabric. It can either be a solid color or a print that coordinates with other fabrics or furniture in the room. I've seen lots of new window treatments that are made like this.

How about adding a contrasting colour at the bottom of each curtain, could also use same colour for tie to tie them back?

No 2 idea: If on rod is it possible to drop the rod down a few inches and add a seperate frill at the top to cover the other rod. Could also use contrasting or different shade of same colour.

The Amazon site for the US lists it per yard but WOWSA is it pricey:

http://www.amazon.com/Conso®-B ... ringe-Decorator-Fabric/dp/B0084H1JOW

I tried Joann USA but they no longer carry it; Hancock carries fringes but not the bullion at their online site:

http://search.hancockfabrics.com/browse/_/N-0?tag=thrif06-20

March 4, 2010 Flag

I have a sliding glass door in my bedroom apartment that goes from ceiling to floor. It is approximately 94 inches in height and is 144 inches across. I bought some curtain/panels that I absolutely love and were on sale, but they don't touch the floor. They are 10 inches too short. Are there any suggestions on lengthening from either the top or bottom?

By Nyree from Honolulu, HI

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating CurtainsMarch 12, 2013
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
A sewing machine making repairs.
Repairing Thermal Backing on Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
🎉
🎄