Banana Tips

By tracey v 22 2

Peel a banana from the bottom and you won't have to pick the little 'stringy things' off it. That's how the primates do it. Take your bananas apart when you get home from the store. If you leave them connected at the stem, they ripen faster

By Tracey from Thomasville, GA

Editor's Note: What are your favorite tips for buying, storing and using bananas? Post them here!

Showing: Comments Sort

By Patty 7 68 Flag

My mother and father raised 7 children on a very low income. One of my mom's tricks with bananas to make them go farther was to buy the bunch with the smallest sized bananas on it. That way we each got a whole banana to eat, but they went a lot further as there were more bananas on the bunch. I also advise you to check out what a serving size is of bananas. I believe it is one small sized banana or half a medium to large one. You may be eating more than you need at one time if you eat the whole banana.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

When the bananas begin to get too ripe, I peel them and put them in a plastic container with tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator. They will keep several days before turning brown. If they turn brown and get mushy, I cut them into chunks and put in a freezer bag in the freezer to use in smoothies or banana bread. When I buy 3 lbs at BJ's Wholesale Club, I divide with neighbors who live alone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

When I buy bananas, I pull them apart and individual wrap them in foil. They will not turn brown in the fridge that way and will keep longer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Any frugal recipe ideas for banana bread? I do not have stick of butter. Can I use the butter (or really, country crock) from the tub instead?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mell 7 1 Flag

If you have bananas that have turned brown, and don't have time to make banana bread, blend half one up with an egg and a tablespoon of olive oil. Put it on your hair and wrap a plastic bag around it. Them maybe a warm towel. Leave on for 20 minutes or so. It make a great conditioner.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

peeled banana
Peeling a Banana
Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitJune 22, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
banana pie
Banana Pie Recipes
peeled banana
Peeling a Banana
three banana peppers
Freezing Banana Peppers
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:42:32 AM on 10.0.0.27 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings