FlooringHome Improvement

Replacing Carpet With Vinyl Flooring

I am contemplating replacing my 30 year old carpeting with one piece vinyl. Does anyone have any advice for me? What brand? Color? I have 7 inside cats and one dog and I'm thinking it might be easier to keep clean. My husband is in a wheelchair and he weighs about 300 pounds. Will vinyl stand that kind of wear and tear? Also, should I consider no-wax vinyl? Has anyone else replaced carpet with vinyl? Thanks for any advice and tips.

Brenda from Knoxville, TN

You are making a wise choice in removing carpet and going with vinyl flooring. I'd choose the no wax kind. After several years the top coating (no wax surface) or the flooring wears off. I guess I'm trying to say you get what you pay for. If you spend more money to get a premium product, it will last longer, but the cheaper kinds are easily replaced.

I think you can expect your no wax vinyl flooring to last about 15 years.

I'm considering doing the same thing, removing carpet and replacing it with a top grade vinyl. I have 7 cats and think the vinyl will be easier to keep clean. A plus for your husband is the wheelchair will be much easier for him to use on the vinyl.

Just a note a mansion on HGTV years ago a millionaire; put wood patteren vinyl flooring through

the enitire mansion halls and front rooms and kitchen, and family room so his young kids could ride trykes, battery operated jeeps etc on it and if you were not told it looked like wood...I have thought

about this too..