Repairing Vinyl Flooring?

There are literally a thousand gouges or marks, in a high traffic area from utility area and back door into the rest of the house. It is a wide open area, but there is never any furniture there. You can put a fingernail into it so it's cut, like 1/18 or less.

There are no splits, just marks that look like I never mop. It seems like a hundred elves wore stilettos in that area. Not even combined. More an ant size. Any idea?

Answers

Shoes can cut a floor if they have those metal heel savers. Vinyl floors cut easily and wood scratches. You may have to remove shoes in the house.

What type of flooring is it?

It could be anything from old flooring that needs replaced, foundation movement, etc.

Let us know what type of flooring it is and Ill help find you a solution :)

Just saw where you posted it was vinyl. My bad on my other post.

Looks like moisture getting underneath the vinyl is a big cause for cuts in flooring. It can also rip just from everyday wear and tear. Also, most markings on vinyl can mean water damage as well. How Long have you had the flooring? If there is a spot thats not in direct eyesight that you can pull up to check underneath it, I would do that to make sure you dont have a leak or moisture problem.

Hope you figure it out. Good luck!

What type of flooring is it?

Not knowing the type of floor we are talking about I can try and guess a few reasons this one has happened. It could be people have some small rocks that have stayed on the bottom of their shoes when they came in the home and walked on he floor. This can cause wood floors to mark the way you are describing this. Bugs is another reason that wood floors get these small cuts in them. You can ask for a termite inspection to make sure they are not from termites in your floor. If this is the case you'll need to get them sprayed before they start eating up more of the floor. I have seen this in my parent's home with their wood floors and it was termites that did this type of damage in their floors.

Sounds like your vinyl flooring has tiny cuts or dents in the surface from stones or grit in the bottoms of shoes walking on it. You could try bleaching those dents to make sure they are as light colored as possible. If they still stand out when looking at the floor, try a tiny dab of matching color of crayon to fill the dent, or even shoe polish that matches the color of the flooring...something to fill the dents/cuts in the vinyl. Multiple coats of a vinyl floor wax/sealer may fill in the dents. There are also repair kits, but they are meant for spot fixes, not big areas of flooring. You Tube also has videos on using a heat gun or hair drier and a putty knife to slowly heat the affected area and rubbing/scraping dents till smoothed out. If none of these work, unfortunately, you might have to consider replacement. Good luck.

Do you have a large dog that spends a lot of time coming in and out in that area? It could be toenail cuts in the flooring. If none of the "fixes" above work, could you put an area rug there to cover the floor to just hide the area?

Answer this Question

7 More Questions

I have a small tear on my vinyl floor in the kitchen. Any ideas on how I can repair it?

Onesummer from GA

Answers

About all you can do is clue the piece back down and lay some books on it for about a day.

Autumn is likely correct, at least as far as I know...

I've had tears in mine & I've glued it back down.

Keep in mind though, that if either surface is SMOOTH you'll want to run sand paper over it a few times so that the glue can hold better.

And be sure to weight it down for a day or two so that it'll hold.

Here's a URL with EXACT INSTRUCTIONS for repairing or replacing VINYL TILE or patching a Vinyl floor:

www.diynetwork.com/.../0,2041,DIY_14119_4805525,00.html

Anonymous

I use clear caulking, spread evenly and smooth out, then put a piece of plastic wrap on it, and a very heavy object like an old cast iron iron or pot until it dries. Works well, can't see the caulking because it is clear it lets the original color show through.

Answer this Question

I dropped a frozen roast on my vinyl flooring and it left a big dent in it. Does anyone know how to repair this or make it less noticeable? (And here I was worried about the kids wrecking it!)

Kendy from Milwaukee, WI

Answers

By Sharon (Guest Post)

Perhaps a hairdryer would help to soften the vinyl dent...allowing the dent to pop back up?!

By Barbie (Guest Post)

I read somewhere you can place a damp towel over a dent and then use an iron to soften it and it lessens the dent....be careful not to melt the floor....

Answer this Question

How do I coverup ripped vinyl flooring around the base of my toilet, that was damaged when replacing caulking around the base? I don't have money to buy more flooring.

Is there a way to cover it up with an adhesive tape or anything like that? I hope to hear from you ASAP. Thanks.

Answers

You might want to seal it with calking or use double sided tape to hold it down. I think I would get a mat to cover up the damage after I had sealed it so that dirt, moisture, etc. didn't get under the flooring. That would be the least expensive option, I think.

Answer this Question

I have "timber look" vinyl tiles on my floor and they scratch very easily. Can anyone suggest how these scratches could be removed?

By Kit Miller from Sydney, Australia

Answer this Question

Last night the bathroom tub overflowed. This morning a 3 sq ft area of vinyl floor is warped. What can I do?

By John Peachey from Noblesville, IN

Answer this Question

I have a sheet vinyl floor that has a cut in it. How do I fix it? It is slightly pulled apart at the center.

Kathye from Covington, GA

Answer this Question

I have got some burn stains on the vinyl floor in my kitchen. Kindly advice me how I can get rid of it. Thanks in advance.

Doll USA from Boise, ID

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringOctober 26, 2015
🐰
🍀
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-Vinyl-Flooring-1.html