Newspaper for Gift Wrap

Use the funny papers for wrapping Christmas presents. My mom and dad did this at Christmas. We all enjoyed reading the funnies after we opened our presents.

By Darlooney from Carriere, MS

Although comics are fun for kids and family gifts, for a more elegant alternative I've used brown grocery bags cut up as giftwrap for years (or you can just buy rolls of brown paper, which is thrifty but not free!). When I see fancy ribbon on sale after Christmas or at a fabric store, I stock up. The contrast with the brown paper makes for a striking look. Also nice are natural decorations for the package like dried flowers, leaves, snips of pine or holly, etc.

We did this for years at my house. I didn't even think of it as economizing or recycling, though I know now that's what it was.

If you want to wrap but don't like the comics pages or brown paper bag idea, you can get newsprint paper at most school supply or stationery stores. Butcher's paper is another alternative. Neither is free, but I don't think they're horribly expensive. You can then decorate your way, or simply add colorful ribbons, etc.

Merry Christmas and all those other holidays folks celebrate at this time of year!

Comic paper and newspaper is economical yes. But think of the people who will be unwrapping it and/or handling it before unwrapping! We received gifts from someone one year that were wrapped in comic paper and in newspaper. Sure it was a cute addition under our tree, but when it came time to unwrap, once we got the paper off, we had to go wash our hands before we could handle the gifts that were inside!

As an alternative, I'd suggest using brown paper bags (if you can find them anymore) or going to the dollar store and stocking up on brown paper there.

I, myself, always buy my wrapping paper at the after-Christmas sales. You can get it for next to nothing and stock up on enough to last for years.

We've done this for two years now for Christmas. Our family always looks forward to who gets what funnies. We save the Sunday funnies all year long so end up with plenty of paper to wrap gifts of all sizes. The only problem is that it slows down the wrapping process 'cause we're reading the funnies again and commenting on favorites!

December 2, 2009 Flag

Wrap your Christmas gifts in newspaper, using sections that relate to the person receiving the gift. Sports section for the sports fanatic, comics for the kids, fashion for the ladies, etc. Use red or green checked ribbon or yarn to finish it up. Gives an old fashioned look to your gifts as well as being economical.

By Okie Jay from Oklahoma

Answers:

Newspaper for Gift Wrap

Giftwrapping in comics is absolutely the standard in our house and our kids love it. We even give kids' birthday gifts (friends' kids) wrapped in it. Often do homemade gifts too. A dying tradition. (12/20/2005)

By aardvark

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Row of Wrapped Gifts
Saving Money on Wrapping Paper
Crafts Gifts Wrapping PaperDecember 2, 2009
Plastic Newspaper Bag
Uses for Plastic Newspaper Bags
Recycled Wrapping Paper
Recycled Wrapping Paper Ideas
A gift wrapped in butcher paper.
Using Butcher Paper for Gift Wrap
brown paper gift wrap
Frugal Gift Wrapping Ideas
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 11:25:31 PM on 10.0.1.55 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.