Canning Green Tomato Puree
I recently canned green tomato puree using the following method. Is it OK for green tomatoes?
Canning Green Tomato Puree Using Quart jars.
- Chop, blend and cook tomatoes.
- Wash jars in hot water with soap and rinse well.
- Put jar in pre-steam pot and steam 10 minutes.
- Remove steamed jars, one at a time, keep others steaming.
- Fill with tomato puree and add two tablespoons lemon juice.
- Add teaspoon of salt and top off to an inch from top.
- Wipe clean rim of jar. Place lid on jar.
- Hand tighten band.
- Place in deep pot.
- Cover over jars with 2 inches water and boil 45 minutes.
- Remove jars, let cool till lid pops in.
- Remove screw bands and gently try to lift off lids.
- If lid stays firm canning is done.
- Let jars cool 24 hours and shelf.
Thank you Bob L.
August 26, 20090 found this helpful
As long as you're canning to safety specifications I doubt it matters if the canning done is in a quart size jar. I don't use green tomatoes for anything but there are lots of recipes for them out there including puree.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on January 4, 2017 at 6:13:59 PM on 10.0.1.187 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us