Cooking Fish

Whenever I cook fish, either baking it or panfrying, there is a milky residue that seeps from the fish. The fish is done, but the residue is unappetizing looking. I see lots of great recipes, but are afraid to try them because of this. What causes it and how can I cook the fish to avoid it?

Thanks for any help.

By Marion from Ontario, Canada

Maybe you are not cooking them long enough,good luck.

It is coagulated protein from fish juices/moisture. It tastes fine, but looks yucky to some [depends on how much]. Scrape it off and try not to mess up the fish or cover it with parsley. Or maybe let fish drain a bit on paper towel or rack before cooking and see if that minimizes the problem.

This milky residue for fish is the same as blood from beef. it is not harmful nor is it inedible. Just carefully remove it from the edges of the fish. It does not mean the fish is not totally cooked. Eat that fish, it is good for you.

If you bake them on a rack most of the juice will fall into the catch pan.

I have good luck wih fish on a Foreman grill. I make my own olive oil spray with one of those sprayer thingees, and use olive oil, garlic powder (don't use salt) or Mrs. Dash, then watch it! Cooks quickly. Sprinkle with fresh lemon juice!

Cooking Fish
Cooking Fish
Food and Recipes Food Tips SeafoodMarch 26, 2010
fish sauce
Using Fish Sauce
Fish Buying Tips
Fish Buying Tips
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile