Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Hair Dye Stain on Carpet

How can I remove hair dye (black) marks from carpet? The carpet is acrylic.

By Stephanie

By Wheaty12/31/2010

Thank You, for your help. I will try whatever it takes. Wheaty

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Hair Dye Stain on Carpet

I have an old hair dye stain on my carpet that I need to remove. Please help.

Marissa from San Diego, CA

RE: Hair Dye Stain on Carpet

I swear by SPOT SHOT. It has taken out everything I have ever used it on; including latex wall paint on carpet. You can find it at most grocery stores, Target, and Wal-Mart. (07/20/2006)

By Marnita

RE: Hair Dye Stain on Carpet

If is very dark dye and on nylon or obviously poly carpet, have about five or six thickly folded squares of paper towels handy to blot:

Try first: Spraying a mixture of Oxyclean/Dish soap formula (1 tsp. Oxy. powder and 3 drops Dawn Ultra II to 1 qt. HOT water). Use hand-pump spray bottle. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES BECAUSE IT IS A STRONG CHEMICAL THAT CAN EAT FLESH! THERE IS NO MEDICINE OR NEUTRALIZER FOR IT AND THE SKIN DAMAGE CAN LAST MONTHS!). Let the formula sit on dye stain for 10 minutes, rubbing in gently one way then another with old sock (USE RUBBER GLOVES!). Begin blotting with paper towel folds by stepping on one then looking to see if significant dye is being released by the Oxyclean. If so, continue until most dye is gone or until no more releases.

If any RED from the stain is left, (PLAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THIS) use CREME Perioxide from Beauty Supply, just on the red, applying straight from bottle to red with q-tip. Test every HOUR by carefully wiping perioxide up and reapplying if SLIGHTLY RELEASED. Cover with an inverted foam cup, IF IT WILL COVER THE STAIN FORMULA ON DYE, OTHERWISE A PAPER PLATE. When released, use Dawn Ultra II (1 drop to 1/2 cup cold water and white vinegar 1/4 cup) to rinse and blot until near clean and dry.

I have had to do this over two LONG days with red stains ON things, finding that Creme Perioxide is the ONLY thing that removes most OR all of it... eventually, and if one has enough patience, not giving up easily as I don't. (If your carpet is white, leave the perioxide on three days then blot and rinse several times when color is released. It might always have a very slight "light pinkish" stain, depending upon the darkness and redness of the dye, be prepared. Clorox type bleaches will eat the backing and padding. I don't recommend bleach, even for white carpet. Also, I use a Rug Doctor when I can for GREAT RESULTS on all carpets. Many rinses is a MUST! (07/23/2006)

Archive: Hair Dye Stain on Carpet

Does anyone know how to remove hair dye from carpet? It is red dye on a medium shade green carpet about the size of a quarter.

Thanks,
Dee from Cape Coral, FL

RE: Hair Dye Stain on Carpet

If none of these suggestions work, and you are not renting, your could cut just the area in the carpet that is affected, but first find the matching carpet, that may be on a closet floor.You would have to use a good cutting blade, of course with caution and cut out the area, like removing a plug of carpet and cut an exact size to put in the shape of what you cut out.Hope you don't have to resort to that. (10/15/2006)

By Kersti

Archive: Hair Dye Stain on Carpet

I do I go about removing hair dye from carpet?