Lip Gloss

What does it mean that lip gloss contains pig fat? Can you tell me?

By Shireen from JBP

Wouldn't it mean lard?

Yes, I too have lip gloss for a science project, and if any one has any information at all on what type of things I should use in it it will be helpful.

Just what it says, the boiled down fat of a pig! (you'd be surprised how many things contain this, including many of the foods we eat eg some ice cream!) Go for lip gloss that is cruelty free - there are plenty of them around!

First, I am intrigued that your lip gloss actually says 'pig fat'. It's called stearic acid. Check your lotions, shampoo, soap and even a vast majority of food, vitamins, etc products and you'll see stearic acid on the ingredient labels. BTW, where is JBP?

I made lip gloss/chapstick at home. Very easy.. melt Crisco and add any flavor to it, experiment from jelly, to vodka, to coke. Anything edible really. Pour it into old tubes or prescription medicine bottles, put in the freezer to harden. I think most lip items are just fat based.

You can make your own by melting about 3 parts vaseline and one part paraffin wax over hot water. Works great.

October 29, 2009 Flag

We really want to know some stuff about lip gloss. We have it for a topic in our science fair, and we'd really like to win. So if anybody has any information on lip gloss, please post it. And you can send any kind of information that you think will help, we just really need something to help us out.

Thank you!
Ryan and Brooke

Lip Gloss

Contact a couple of the companies, either by phone (most companies will offer an 800 number) or by email. If you have time, a written letter will work as well and when they respond you'll have the response in writing so to speak! (02/26/2005)

By homeschoolin_mum

Lip Gloss

Check into the ingredients in several big name lip glosses. For example; Carmex, which a lot of people use, contains salicylic acid which is actually a drying agent, so it really dries out your lips which just makes you use more. You can do a poll to find out what the favorite lip gloss is (collect data). What exactly are you trying to find out about lip gloss? What is the point you are trying to make with your presentation? Keep those things in mind, and you will do great. (02/27/2005)

By Kelly

Lip Gloss

Until very recently, I'm talking a couple years tops and some still do this, major cosmetic companies purchased whale blubber from the fisherman who hunted them. What for? They would strain the fat and use it as the moisturizing and solidifying ingredient in lip products. So you and I were rubbing a dead animal's fat on our mouths. SICK! Put that in your project. And make sure you only buy products that are animal product and testing free. (02/27/2005)

By Suzanne S.

Lip Gloss

Have you ever actually looked up the ingredients? Lip gloss is mostly made of different waxes and flavoring. Although the lip gloss from Elf cosmetics main ingredient can be lethal in large doses. Pretty interesting. (02/11/2008)

Lip Gloss

Whale products are not used in cosmetics anymore. Most everything is created in a lab. (03/24/2008)

By kibby

Lip Gloss

I made my lip gloss out of honey, shortening, and food coloring. (06/28/2008)

By avery

Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceOctober 29, 2009
A girl putting on lip balm.
Cleaning Lip Balm Stains From Clothing
lip gloss puddle and applicator
Homemade Lip Gloss Recipes
Making Lip Balm
Making Lip Balm
A woman putting on lip gloss.
Cleaning Lip Gloss Stains on Clothing