How Do I Choose the Best Appliances for the Money?

I need to purchase an oven and a dishwasher. I am a single mother of 2 so I cannot afford to spend a lot. The oven needs to be electric, 24 inches. I was considering a Frigidaire, and found one for $700, but after reading some reviews, I don't think this brand will last long. I read some of the reviews on this board for Frigidaire dishwashers and don't want or need something that leaks.

I have a Frigidaire refrigerator with a built in ice-maker. My ice-maker sprung a leak which went unnoticed for a while and for a long time, I thought it was the copper tubing.

My mother had a Maytag dishwasher which she bought 4 years ago and it cracked many of her dishes. These were old Pyrex dishes that can go from cold to a hot oven. But that dishwasher broke them and washed off many of the designs. The front panel burned out and it is used for storage.

She used to get Consumer Reports, but the price became so high that she couldn't afford it anymore. Before that dishwasher, we had a Maytag that was wonderful and it lasted 20 years and still worked, but my dad wanted to get something better for her because the filter kept getting plugged and she was tired of cleaning it.

We would appreciate any help in choosing the right one. Thank you.

By Amelia from Pickstown, SD

For openers, I'd choose a refrigerator that does not have an ic emaker. According to Consumer Reports, this is the part that most often causes trouble on all brands. I bought a Whirlpool about 7-8 years ago and have been very happy with it. Haven't had a dishwasher since the last of my kids left home, so I can't help you much there! LOL (Actually, I never had one.) --shoe

I would suggest you call an appliance repairman and ask him what he would recommend. Mine did that for me, and it helped me out a lot. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your information and help. Times like this I wish that I lived closer to the city so I could look through the stores and find what I want. I will look for an appliance repairman and ask him. Actually I never thought of that. Good suggestion. So far, the dishwasher in my house is me and occasionally my 2 kids may help out.

Go to the library and borrow the Consumer Reports. After buying a dishwasher on my own and hating it for five years, I got the one they recommended and I LOVE it. It's a Kenmore model 1389. It was a "best buy" and cost, with a special going on, less than $500.

What ever you do, DON'T buy one that doesn't have a separate water sprayer for the top section. It just won't get those dishes clean. This one even cleans dried-on egg. I am amazed every day!

My oven is 33 years old so I can't help you on that one, but again I would use the library copies of Consumer Reports. You might even be able to do it on the phone, if you call when they aren't busy.

I can't recommend any specific appliances but when I was car shopping I bought an on-line membership to consumer reports. It was inexpensive and once you get the info you need, you can cancel and get the unused portion refunded. Check it out as an option.

As a single mom myself I usually call a few repairmen with brick and mortar shops and they usually have some repaired items they take away for customers who've purchased new items; these sell for a very low price with a warranty of one year like the major appliances give for buying a new one. I bought a dryer for $75 and it lasted a long time, sure beat spending $500. It was well worth it for my budget. Good luck. :)

Consumer Advice Product FinderAugust 21, 2010
row of white refrigerators
Cleaning Textured Appliances
Woman Cleaning Appliances
Cleaning Appliances
Stainless Steel Dishwasher
Converting Appliances to Stainless Steel
Home Appliances
Saving Money on Home Appliances
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 17, 2016 at 6:17:04 PM on 10.0.0.36 in 971 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.