Cleaning Appliances

Category Appliances
Although every type of appliance has tips and procedures that work best for them there are many general cleaning products and methods that work well on various appliances. This is a guide about cleaning appliances.

To remove fingerprints and smears and to shine kitchen appliances, make a mixture of half household vinegar and half water. Wipe over the dirty areas with an old, clean terry towel.

I use water and vinegar for all cleaning, a lot cheaper than the fancy products at the store and better for you!

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

When I was cleaning my small appliances (toaster, can opener, coffee maker etc.) the other day, I noticed they were not shiny black anymore. After cleaning them I applied Armour All with a soft cloth and now they look like new! They are 5 years old.

By Kathie from South Portland, ME

This is a guide about cleaning kitchen appliances with baking soda. A damp rag or sponge with dry baking soda makes a good inexpensive cleaner for appliances.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I moved into an apartment and the refrigerator and oven haven't been cleaned in a long time. The fridge has an odor and I need to get it out. Plus the oven has burnt on mess and I need inexpensive ways to clean them. Any suggestions?

Rhonda from MI

Answers

Robin:

We have been through this before. Take the refrigerator door off and clean, clean, clean. Baking soda and hot water will clean alot and take away the odor, too. For the oven, use 2 tablespoons liquid soap, 2 teaspoons borax and hot water. Put in spray bottle. Warm the oven to 200 degrees. Saturate the area and leave on 20 minutes. Use a cloth or non-metallic brush to take off.

I just recently read where if you put a bag of coffee beans in a cupboard, ref. or anywhere you need to get rid of odors, the beans will absorb the odors completely. Worth a try in my opinion. Good luck!

I had that problem with the stove in our apartment when we moved in. We used an oven cleaner from the local dollar store. Follow the directions right on the can either heating for 20 minutes or leaving on over night. The burnt mess will wipe right off.

If you pour ammonia in a bowl and put it in your oven overnight, it will make it much easier to remove all of the burnt on residue. In the morning all you have to do it wipe up the interior of your oven with a rag.

Sewingmamma

Charcoal Briquettes, I have used them to get an ador out of an old freezer. Worked great. Just put a few briquettes in the fridge and close the door. The charcoal will absorb the odor.

How can I remove a fabric softener stain off the top of my washing machine? It is not build up, it is an actual stain.

By Michelle R.