Tips for Good Smelling Clothing

There is nothing nicer than the smell of freshly laundered clothing. This is a guide about tips for good smelling clothing.

January 3, 2010 Flag

How can I make my clothes smell like detergent? Can someone help me out. After I'm done washing my clothes I can smell the detergent. When I am done drying them I don't smell anything. I use concentrated detergent. I also use dryer sheets. Can someone help me. I want my laundry to keep the smell of my detergent.

By headache from Miami, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

There appear to be two schools of thought on this subject. One school of thought is that it would be nice if wardrobe and bedding had an appealing scent that was overtly noticeable.

The other school of thought is that an appealing scent is one that smells either nuetral or noticeably fresh and clean but not "perfumey".

The one suggestion that I liked best was to hang clothes outside so that they can be "kissed by the Sun" I know for a fact that this makes clotes smell wonderful, but it's not a smell that you can bottle and apply in mega-doses.

These two schools of thought could be categorized as the "Organic" school and the "Better Living Through Chemistry" school.

My personal school of thought is somewhere in between, based on the fact that that both organic chemistry and inorganic chemistry is really one and the same and that one is not necessarily "better" than the other, but with inorganic chemistry it is possible to overdo a good thing.

Someone mentioned Borax and Baking soda. Both elements are pretty basic, but they preform important functions. Borax is sodium tetraborate while baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Both are salts, but baking soda is an alkali which neutralizes acids while Borax is a natural fungicide and is used in the pest control industry to kill both fungus and Termites and is also a powerful fire retardant.

Through chemistry, these two elements will give clothing a "fresh, clean" smell but just as a head's up, your body needs to smell good if you want your clothes to smell good, and don't ever overdo perfumes or colognes.

I hate it when people give off a cloud of fumes from literally 50 paces distance and generates a cloud that is ten feet high and wafts it's way through the atmosphere all the way from the next aisle over in the supermarket.

Yes, you CAN overdo a good thing.

Best Answer

Well I'm sorta of an expert when it comes to good smelling clothes all that i do is always make my loads medium don't stuff them with clothes add 1 thing of detergent and when it comes time to put the softener put 2 to 3 caps of softener let it soak with softener for at least 2 hours but for best results leave it 3 to 4 hours soaking then when you dry your clothes add 2 sheets of good dryer sheets. Believe me everyone will smell you!

P.S always use the best of the best its always worth every penny:)

Best Answer

Please stop using fabric softeners - they contain 9 different hazardous chemicals which can either cause problems with your Central Nervous System and/or are carcinogenic. These are extremely hazardous chemicals folks! Alpha-Terpineol, Benzyl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Camphor, Chloroform, Ethyl Acetate, Limonene, Linalool, Pentane. I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity from being exposed to chemicals in our environment and fabric softener is the worst. If I come in contact with it, it makes me terribly sick for days. Protect yourself and your family. You will eventually get sick if you continue using fabric softener as well as making people around you sick.

PLEASE NOTE: anything that has fragrances, perfume, cologne, household cleaners, fabric softener will be absorbed through your skin and eventually make you ill. There are other alternatives you can use with a little research.

What I do is to buy the same dryer sheets as my detergent or the liquid fabric softener. I use Gain and love the smell. I buy the liquid softener of the same and sometimes the dryer sheets and my clothes smell terrific. I also put a dryer sheet in my lingerie drawer to keep that wonderful smell working. Hope this helps.

You do realize that if you can smell the detergent, etc that it means that you still have the chemicals from the detergent or the softener still in your clothing. And that you are smelling chemicals. Although it smells good, it's bad for your health. I read about people using 2 or 3 times the amount, not good. In addition to the smell it means the chemicals are up against your skin.

I am the opposite, I use unscented detergent and unscented dryer sheets. Hate to be shopping and smell that soap smell on people passing by. Yuk.

And I hate when people in the neighborhood throw in a bunch of dryer sheets and cheap flower smell is all over the neighborhood via their dryer vents. Air polution at its worst.

Most of the detergent and dryer smells are very fake and strong. Sort of like those rest room deodorizers. I would rather smell like a nice perfume or have a guy smell like a light after shave or like nothing at all than smell like a lilac or jasmine dryer sheet!

I almost forgot never I mean never over dry your clothing ever and my choice is.

Detergent - gain,tide,ariel or surf

softener - downy,gain or suavitel

dryer sheets - downy, ounce or gain and always have the same smell for all three products.

Please People!

The best laundry smell is fresh air.

These waxy long lasting fragrance carriers are ruining your clothes, and the fragrances are sickening. They contain toxic untested chemicals.

Many people are highly sensitive to these fragrances and carriers. Please stay downwind and well away from me when you choose to smell like a laundrymat.

Thank you.

Wonderful feedback. I read this post because i also thoroughly enjoy the smell of freshly-laundered clothes and linen and want it to last! I will follow up on the suggestions to use liquid softener, and detergent of the same brand. I'm curious. Would anyone happen to know of natural products which would leave a pleasant, lingering scent on clothing? Realistically, a lot of people live in apartment buildings and cannot dry their clothes on a clothesline.

All of these were great suggestions I can not wait to try these!!! As for everyone lecturing about chemicals; it is each persons own choice how they live their life. You really shouldn't tell people what to do, people can make their own decisions. I think fabric softener is a very, very small issue we have to deal with in this day and age!

I can't wait to try this! I have tried what I feel like is everything to get the scent to last! As for those lecturing about chemicals and so on, no one asked about the health hazards it's not polite to tell others how to live their lives. Everything in this world has negative effects and if you live your life being so worried about everything you'll never enjoy life! So I would suggests keeping lectures to yourself unless asked for.

Read More Answers...

January 3, 2010 Flag

My clothes don't keep the fragrance of my laundry detergent or fabric softener after they have been dried. They smell great after I wash them, but when I put them in the dryer they lose the scent. How can I keep the fresh scent of my fabric softener in my clothes? I use Gain detergent, fabric softener, and dryer sheets.

Peggy

Answers:

Tips for Good Smelling Clothing

Maybe when you put your clothes in your drawers or closet, place one of your fabric softener sheets in with the clothes. (02/05/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

Tips for Good Smelling Clothing

Due to each individual schedule you may not have the time to nor the facilities to do so, but I hang my clothes outside every day, weather permitting. I use either Tide or Wisk. I never use dryer sheets as I don't feel that they are necessary. My sheets smell especially nice and so awesome after blowing around in the breeze and being kissed by the sun. (02/06/2007)

By kidena

Tips for Good Smelling Clothing

I use a half of a Bounce fabric softener sheet per load in my dryer and everyone always says how fresh my clothes smell. One lady told my husband she could tell he was married just by how fresh his clothes smelled. (02/06/2007)

By kimmcg

Tips for Good Smelling Clothing

Since I've been using Era laundry detergent and Suavitel liquid fabric softener, I'm very happy with the wash. The smell stays with the clothes long after the first wear. Since I don't have access to the outside, my sheets and clothes all smell wonderful. This is a great combination for me. (02/06/2007)

By Lady Claire

Tips for Good Smelling Clothing

You know, it's funny how I can read all these feedbacks and partly agree with some and completely disagree with others. Yet we all came out with the same results.

I've been on a mission for about ten years to have that wonderful clean smelling laundry that everyone in the room can smell. It's not that hard really, but you have to start right by getting the things you need and going back to what you were taught in the beginning about laundry. After you read this, immediately go to the store and buy any detergent, any liquid softener, and any fabric sheets that you personally like the smell of. While on that aisle, buy a product called 20 Mule Team Borax. It's in a green and yellow box with red letters I believe. It's only a couple of dollars. Get a Downy ball if you don't already have one unless you have a softener dispenser in your washer. Most importantly, pick up a small laundry basket.

Now, when you have all that at home, then comes what nobody wants to hear. Separation. Make sure to separate your clothes into proper categories. I have categories labeled: soft clothes, denims, heavily soiled (husband's work clothes and/or very messy children's clothes), special care (sweaters and other dedicates), good towels and rags, and last is cleaning towels and rags which I also wash with throw/door/bathroom rugs. I personally love the smell of bleached whites, but this ages your clothes really quickly by breaking down the fibers, so I choose not to use it.

Now, once your clothes are separated into the categories that suit you, pick the most urgently needed and fill up that small laundry basket you picked up from the store. Don't cram the clothes in it and don't pile it way above the rim.

Directions for top loader washer:

Turn on your washer to large-largest load, and add a cap full of the detergent to running water. Fill softener dispenser or Downy ball with a cap full and drop it in. Add one cup of your borax to the water then start throwing in your clothes.

Directions for front loader washer:

Put your load of clothes into the washer and clothes the door tightly. Add a cap full of detergent to the designated dispenser, a cap full of softener to the designated dispenser, and a cup of the borax to the pre-wash dispenser.

Once wash cycle is completed, pull clothes and throw into dryer or hang up. Don't tarry. Time is smelly when it comes to your laundry and don't forget your softener sheet. I agree with cutting them in half only because there's no difference in performance, so you're saving money by getting double what you paid for.

I know this will give you the smell of great laundry that we all love and appreciate.

Let me know how it turns out. (05/07/2007)

By Shelly

Tips for Good Smelling Clothing

Use Borax in the wash. You can mix it 50/50 with baking soda if you have hard water. Additionally, you can add essential oils to the mix. Make it up in advance. Two cups of borax, two of baking soda, and ten drops of lavender, or eight lavender plus four peppermint, or eight lavender and four lemon. All will add freshness to clothing, and can be used to deodorize other items as well.

Then line dry, or if you cannot, invest in a lavender dryer sachet, especially lovely for bed linens. (06/02/2007)

By Heather

Tips for Good Smelling Clothing

Put a gel air freshener (the type you put in a bathroom) in a closet/cupboard and the smell will end up sticking to the clothes. This works pretty good. (06/25/2008)

By Trev

Tips for Good Smelling Clothing

I have found the ultimate formula for fresh, sweet smelling, long lasting scented laundry. I'm a huge laundry scent "snob" who has tried every brand and combination on the market and this is my all time favorite.

I use 3/4 cap full (a bit more than recommended) of the 2X concentrated Gain Cotton Fresh liquid detergent per load and Downy April Fresh scent liquid softener. I use the Downy ball for dispensing and I use a little bit over the maximum fill line. I finish up with a Downy April Fresh scent dryer sheet in the dryer. I have put clothing away for a whole season and when I pull them out months later, they still smell fresh. (10/01/2008)

By Angela

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryDecember 7, 2016
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Laundry in Washing Machine
How To Do Laundry
Clothing stored in a closet.
Keeping Clothes Smelling Fresh
Keeping Your House Smelling Nice With Smokers
🎉
🎄