Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

Category Odors
House fires and even a smokey fireplace can leave your clothing smelling like smoke. This is a guide about removing smoke smell from clothing.

Several years back we had a fire in our home and the pros came in to help us with the clean up. Everything smelled like smoke, even our clothes. One of their cleaning secrets was to put one can of Coca-Cola in the washing machine, per load with your regular laundry soap. They said: "Do NOT use sugarless and do not use Pepsi, just regular name-brand Coca-Cola." It worked wonderfully! It was amazing how well just adding one can of Coke per wash load would take out every trace of smoke smell from our clothes and other washables!

I've since used this trick to get rid of that campfire smell from my jackets and other clothes after camping and it also seems to get rid of nasty nicotine smells from my clothes when I've been around smokers.

I don't know if a knockoff brand of Coke would work, I used the real thing but you could always give a cheaper brand a try!

Source: Professional smoke damage cleaners gave me this tip.

By Cyinda from near Seattle

I need to clean a white dress that has been hanging in my closet and has smoke damage from the fireplace. Any suggestions?

By Josephine from Winterville, GA

Answers

Best Answer

Try using white vinegar in the laundry. This will take out any residue of smoke in the clothes.

Best Answer

We had a house fire and the insurance company sent in the pros in to help us with smoke damage. The first thing they did was hook up a huge ozone machine to remove the smoke smell from the carpeting and furniture. But when it came to clothing and other machine washables, they told us to pour one can of regular Coca-Cola (with sugar, not diet) into the wash with each load and it worked! All of the nasty smoke smell came out of our clothes. This also works with camping clothes and even with clothes from cigarette smokers.

If you can't wash your item in the machine, try Vanilla Febreze. It has a light scent that's not overwhelming. Be sure to spray the front and back then turn the garment inside out & do the front & back again, then hang dry.

If you can get your hands on a good ozone based home air cleaner then that's the ticket! Run the ozone based air cleaner in a small room (like a bath room) with your dress hanging from the shower bar.

What the best spray solution for removing smoke odor from a fire on clothing? I'd rather not have to wash them all if possible. Thank you.

Answers

I am sorry to hear about the fire.

Reference this link for ideas:
http://www.gets … without-washing/

- Volka
- Febreeze
- Softener
+ more.

I also had a house fire--back in 2001. You will have to wash everything, several times. Vinegar in the rinse cycle helps. Avoid using the dryer.

As a firefighter, I can tell you that if you don't wash them, they will start to discolor. Smoke isn't just a smell, it is particles of the burned items. It will stain clothing over time and depending on what burned, can even weaken the fabric fibers. That is why we are required to wash our turn out gear on a regular basis.

Avoid the clothes dryer--it can set the smell in. Line dry what you can and let it all air out good.

Vinegar and baking soda are a huge help in the laundry.

You could put crushed newspaper in a suitcase and put the clothes in there. The newspaper will absorb the odor

Laundry detergent, baking soda, and white vinegar in your wash. If you want something topical try this:

http://www.home … amp;gclsrc=aw.ds

I have a family that had a fire and the smoke smell in the clothing will not come out. What can they use to get the smell out?

By Angela from Nashville, IN

Answers:

Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

Try mixing together 4 to 6 tablespoons trisodium phosphate (from a paint store), 1 cup chlorine bleach, and 1 gallon of water. Dip clothing in this then rinse in clean water. If this doesn't work you may need a smoke restorer. Look in the yellow pages under "Fire Damage Restoration". They will use an ozone treatment. This can be very expensive though. It may be cheaper to just buy new clothes. (08/28/2007)

By perfume and powder

Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

Try using white vinegar in the laundry. This will take out any residue of smoke in the clothes. (08/29/2007)

By svinch

Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

Our house burned and the company we hired to clean our household items and store them used a special room they called the "Ozone Room". It circulated the air with maybe a chemical overnight and cleaned the odor right out of our clothes, bedding, fabrics, upholstery, anything they could fit into the room. You might check into this with some of the fire restoration companies. (08/29/2007)

By Linda

Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

I use 1 of 2 things.

1. A product called Odor Check put out by Watkins. It works like a charm.
  2. Febreze. I use it on every thing including my truck (inside).
Good luck. (08/29/2007)

By Barb

Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

There was a family in my church whose house burned and they used Tide with Febreze to wash their clothes after trying other things. They said that the Tide with Febreze seemed to work better than anything and really recommended it. You might try that. (09/07/2007)

By firemanswife90