Selling Crafts With Characters on Them - Categories:

Selling CraftsCrafts

Selling Crafts With Characters on Them

I am looking for information about whether it is illegal to use fabrics such as Winnie the Pooh, Clifford, and such character prints to make and sell dresses, tote bags, etc.

Mary from Cooleemee, NC

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

It is actually illegal to use these images for resale items...you are expected to use them for your personal use, and not to make items for sale from them....it is being done, but it is still against the law....

http://crafts.search.ebay.com/disne ... rtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZ71183

You can find hundreds of things for sale at eBay that are made from disney, and all kinds of things. You can not be expected to buy fabric with copyrighted images on them, then not make things from them. Good luck!!

Sorry, but it's definitely illegal--you can only make things for PRIVATE use out of such fabrics. Making things for sale is a violation of copyright. It can also get your eBay account suspended, if you try to sell such items on eBay.

If you look closely at the selvedge edge they all say for private home use only. Not to make things for resale.

I have made and sold and given away many clothing items with licensed characters on them. I have also seen that on ebay a few times. I figure if they didn't want us to do it the they should not make the material. I have also seen products at farmers markets. Good luck

I checked it with a copyright attorney and yes you can sell items you made and it doesn't matter where you sell them if you actually made it. As the law states that I have a right to sell my artwork. So sew away and feel free as no one can tell you what you can sell or not sell if you made it. The copyright laws are for mass production of a registered trademark so you cannot sell say a purse with John Deere on it as a John Deere licenced purse but you can sell it as a homemade purse, see what I mean? Hope this helps and if anyone else wants to check it out you can google copyrights and trademarks.

You can sell an item that you personally have made from the material. You see this at craft shows all the time. It is meaning mass productions.

October 17, 2011 Flag

What licensing steps do I need to take to sell aprons at craft fairs or out of my home? On the bolts of fabric it often says, "licensed for home use only" or "not for commercial use".

By Jody H.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I believe the warning applies to the sale of the whole bolt or partial bolt of fabric, rather than a person using the fabric to produce something to sell. I don't think you need a license.

Actually, using the fabric to create items for resale is illegal without proper licensing from the company.

I teach sewing using commercial patterns and fabrics but am only able to get away with doing so because the patterns and fabrics are bought by the student for home use only. If I were teaching my sewing students how to craft for resale I would have to have a licensing agreement from the companies whose products I use, as would any of my students.

Disney is particularly harsh to people using their licensed materials to craft for resale, they will go after even someone as small as a local flea-market crafter. They will even go after people using 'likeness' as in an image or style they've copyrighted (Disney Princesses, Winnie The Pooh are two of the likenesses they've successfully sued over).

Another company that will hunt you down is the company with the rights to the Charlie Brown Gang, especially on the Snoopy character.

So you have to be very careful about what you use for creating a craft item for resale. Read the following forum discussion regarding licensing, it's a very interesting discussion that starts off saying "Oh yeah, it's OK" but other posters quickly disagree and provide links to cases wherein the license holders have successfully prosecuted violators:

http://ask.metafilter.com/46943/Cop ... ht-laws-for-selling-homemade-clothes

I believe that means you can't mark the bolt up and sell it. Once you have used it to make items they are yours to sell.

A company can't dictate how you use an item once you purchase it, which is surely a violation of your rights. You have paid for the licensing by buying the fabric. After purchase, it is yours. If you are not mass producing, their should be no issue. If this issue is keeping you up at night, choose fabric without licensed characters.

Crafts Selling CraftsJuly 14, 2008
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Columbia Costume (Rocky Horror)
Glass Block
Selling Glass Block Crafts
Online Shopping
Selling Crafts Online
eBay Logo
Selling On eBay
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 8:48:21 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.