Making Old Tissue Paper Look Like New

While making gift bags for the local nursing home, I realized I had a lot of tissue paper from events past. All the pretty colors and patterns, I couldn't bear to throw it away so I flattened it out and decided to iron it. Worked like a charm.

Take 3 sheets of tissue paper put them together put iron on polyester with a tad of steam. Iron on both sides. The one in the middle will be perfect too. Fold it accordion style and bingo: recycled tissue. When you think of how much of this stuff goes to the land fill every year, this is a good way to recycle.

By snake_dancer from RGV, TX

I reuse tissue paper , too - but since most of it gets squashed anyway - I use the recycled paper for the squashed part! My great aunt used to iron ribbons & wrapping paper, too.

My husband thinks this is crazy, but I have been doing it since high school, when I had to buy stuff for myself (and started being thrifty). When I told my mother in law that I do this, I think she liked me a little more.

This is such a great idea. I have been doing this for years and I do get teased but it is great to save things from the land fill. I also iron the heavy brown wrapping paper the same way(but only one layer and cover with kitchen towel.

When my kids were little this gave them paper to draw on and cut into fun things. I also would use it for wrapping boxes.

When I first started taking sewing lessons, about 40 years ago, one of the first things we were taught was to iron our pattern pieces before placing them on the fabric to cut out. Pattern pieces are made of tissue paper. No one had to tell me how to make tissue or wrapping paper look presentable for a second time around. I also remember my mother ironing cloth ribbon for gifts as a child. Now that I'm middle aged, I'm finding that I'm still using so many things I learned as a child and took for granted. I have a friend who grew up without a mother, and for years she took mental notes of things like this. She couldn't believe how many things she missed out on, that I did and took for granted. Thanks for reminding all of us to be a little more vigilant, helping both our pocketbooks and the environment.

I recycled old tissue paper by running it thru the paper shredder and then putting the different colors of paper in a clear glass vase and arrange artificial flower in it. The paper hides the stems,attach a bow and it is very pretty.

Thank you so much for this tip =) I have new flats of tissue paper that have been thrown into Christmas boxes, birthday wrap boxes and holiday wrap boxes and it crinkled and folded. Its still new but I hate to use that less than perfect paper when giving a gift. I will try your tip as well as the others mentioned before running out and buying more =)

Nice tip. I am thinking this might work as well for wrapping paper. Lydia

P.S. I used to live in Mission in the RGV.

I love this tip! I have tried to reuse it too, and it always looked awful! Thanks!

I have ironed all types of wrappings and ribbons for eons. Yes, I am that old. LOL

One of the craft stores I've gone to uses colorful tissue paper to wrap fragile items when I check out. I've reused it (after pressing it) occasionally to wrap gifts. I usually use two sheets to cover the box so no writing shows through.

Colorful Tissue Paper
Reusing Tissue Paper
Better Living Green Living ReusingMarch 13, 2009
Blue Tissue Paper Sticking out of Green Gift Bag
Crafts Using Tissue Paper
How To Recycle Paper
Making Recycled Paper
Colorful Tissue Paper
Cleaning Tissue Paper Stains From Carpet
painting furniture
Making Old Furniture Look New
🎉
🎄