Reusing Tissue Paper

While making gift bags for the local nursing home, I realized I had a lot of tissue paper from events past. All the pretty colors and patterns, I couldn't bear to throw it away so I flattened it out and decided to iron it. Worked like a charm.

Take 3 sheets of tissue paper put them together put iron on polyester with a tad of steam. Iron on both sides. The one in the middle will be perfect too. Fold it accordion style and bingo: recycled tissue. When you think of how much of this stuff goes to the land fill every year, this is a good way to recycle.

By snake_dancer from RGV, TX

Read More or Comment...

I reuse tissue paper , too - but since most of it gets squashed anyway - I use the recycled paper for the squashed part! My great aunt used to iron ribbons & wrapping paper, too.

My husband thinks this is crazy, but I have been doing it since high school, when I had to buy stuff for myself (and started being thrifty). When I told my mother in law that I do this, I think she liked me a little more.

This is such a great idea. I have been doing this for years and I do get teased but it is great to save things from the land fill. I also iron the heavy brown wrapping paper the same way(but only one layer and cover with kitchen towel.

When my kids were little this gave them paper to draw on and cut into fun things. I also would use it for wrapping boxes.

When I first started taking sewing lessons, about 40 years ago, one of the first things we were taught was to iron our pattern pieces before placing them on the fabric to cut out. Pattern pieces are made of tissue paper. No one had to tell me how to make tissue or wrapping paper look presentable for a second time around. I also remember my mother ironing cloth ribbon for gifts as a child. Now that I'm middle aged, I'm finding that I'm still using so many things I learned as a child and took for granted. I have a friend who grew up without a mother, and for years she took mental notes of things like this. She couldn't believe how many things she missed out on, that I did and took for granted. Thanks for reminding all of us to be a little more vigilant, helping both our pocketbooks and the environment.

I recycled old tissue paper by running it thru the paper shredder and then putting the different colors of paper in a clear glass vase and arrange artificial flower in it. The paper hides the stems,attach a bow and it is very pretty.

Thank you so much for this tip =) I have new flats of tissue paper that have been thrown into Christmas boxes, birthday wrap boxes and holiday wrap boxes and it crinkled and folded. Its still new but I hate to use that less than perfect paper when giving a gift. I will try your tip as well as the others mentioned before running out and buying more =)

Nice tip. I am thinking this might work as well for wrapping paper. Lydia
P.S. I used to live in Mission in the RGV.

I love this tip! I have tried to reuse it too, and it always looked awful! Thanks!

I have ironed all types of wrappings and ribbons for eons. Yes, I am that old. LOL

One of the craft stores I've gone to uses colorful tissue paper to wrap fragile items when I check out. I've reused it (after pressing it) occasionally to wrap gifts. I usually use two sheets to cover the box so no writing shows through.

Is it considered tacky to reuse gift tissue paper when its wrinkled? Just curious.

Daphna from Alachua, Florida

Answers

Not tacky in my book at all. Esp with all the environmental awareness etc.

I have ironed tissue paper on low heat, no steam.

If it is still quite wrinkled I scrunch it up in a ball really tight to make it equally crinkled all over and then undo it it and sort of iron it out with my hands. It gives it an antique-ish look. LOL.

You could also try to accordian pleat it and cut it in strips to us more like you would use "Easter grass" and bury the gift in if the size warrants.

I re-use mine all the time. Why throw it out? Half the time it's all scrunched up to fill up a gift bag, so put the scrunched stuff on the bottom! Or cut off the torn bits. I was raised to unwrap lovely wrappings carefully, so they could be trimmed & used again - why not?

I always reuse mine. You can wrap gifts or use it in a gift bag, in which case it won't matter if it is scrunched. When I was expecting my last child I used the gift wrap from all the showers to line his dresser drawers.

I taped the name of the person who had given the gift on it so that each time I opened it I had a nice reminder.

I work for a school. I am an aide on a special needs bus and want a pattern for a school bus tissue box holder. Does anyone know of one?

Vickim from Mount Vernon, WA

Answers

Here's a website I found that has a cute one at the bottom of the home page.

thecalicocat.com/patterns-sneezes.htm

I don't know if you want a small "portable" tissue holder or the larger "regulation" type of tissue box holder... Either way... Simply take apart a box of tissues & remake one using the original as a pattern ... to make it you can use "FunFoam" (& glue) or fabric with super-thick interfacing... If I were you, I'd add magnets to the bottom so you can just stick it up somewhere on the bus! ... Magnets come in stick-on strips with adhesive on the back.

You can buy them at craft stores...OR you can just buy a bag of those tiny "portable" (purse sized) tissue holders & stick magnets on these & stick them up in various places around the bus...

4 TISSUE HOLDER PATTERNS:
sewing.about.com/.../envelopetissue.htm
craftapalooza.typepad.com/.../lifting_the_ton.html
stardustshoes.blogspot.com/.../tissue-holder-tutorial.html
belladia.typepad.com/.../p1010004jpg.html

CROCHETED TISSUE HOLDER:
www.crochetmemories.com/.../pursetissue.html

EMBROIDERED TISSUE HOLDER: (These are PDF files)
www.pfaffusa.com/721_5105.html

Here is a link for how to make one...I think they based it on the pattern they saw online for sale at the link that Granny below had posted.

tnmomwith3kids.wordpress.com/.../

based on last pic on this page:

www.thecalicocat.com/patterns-sneezes.htm

I swear I have also seen ones in pattern books you buy at the craft store for making one out of plastic canvas that was a school bus.

sort of like this only a tissue box:

www.a1craftpatterns.com/indexplkl.htm

You might want to check with the local authorities first. My friend's daughters drive the special needs busses and they are not allowed to have anything onboard that might fly around and injure someone if in an accident. Strictly prohibited. This includes the driver's pocketbooks. Please check around first so you don't get in trouble. I never knew of this rule until she mentioned it one day. They have to keep their ID's in their pockets.

By blindquilter (Guest Post)

did you mean a tissue holder shaped LIKE a school bus, or one to keep on the bus? if it's to be shaped like a bus make a pattern from an empty regular tissue box (not the square box), making sure you add 1/2 inch overlaps so you can glue (cardstock). then, on one of the long sides, add a "bump up" about 3 inches by 6 inches. this will be the part of the bus with the windows. the rest of that side will be the part where the engine is.
good luck///blind_quilter///yahoo

Viewing This Page
Crafts Recycled CraftsApril 20, 2012
😎
🐛
😷
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf14995115.tip.html