This was purely by accident. I had no wrapping paper, so I used several pieces of tissue paper and twisted it up and it formed what looked like, to me, a rose. So I stuck some silk leaves I had on both sides and it looked like I did it on purpose.
By Diana from Highland, MI
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I dislike seeing things thrown away without ever being used. We have thrown away large handfuls of gift tissue that comes in those gift bags and this is such a waste.
This flower gives a lifelike impression and with thin paper, you can make a very elegant flower. You can arrange them on a flat plate or use as an accent to your project.
When you want to make those dull, red clay pots into something for display, all you need is some tissue paper, glue and water mixture, and clear varnish.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
How do I make Mother's Day flowers out of tissue?
By vianna from IA
Here's how I made them as a child out of Kleenex:
(for bigger flowers in more colors you can also use Tissue Paper)
1) Simply lay the Kleenex flat then fold it accordion style (like a making a fan)
2) At the center wrap a piece of wire or string tightly around the Kleenex.
3) Fold the 2 ends up to meet each other
4) Using a string or wire or piece of clear tape or florist tape, wrap it twice around the base (Calyx area) to keep the tissue pointing up.
5) If you need the flower to be smaller: Holding both ends together in your hand, flatten the top area & cut to the height you want.
6) To make these flowers stand up-right in a vase, you'll need to uses wire around the base (not string or tape) then continue twisting the wire to the length of stem you want
7) Starting at the "calyx" wrap green florist tape around the calyx (bottom area) then continue wrapping with green florist tape all down the stem.
---> This is somewhat like making a pom-pom out of yarn, only you use Kleenex instead!
- separate the 2 ply's of the tissue to make flowers fuller
- To make fluffier flowers, you can stack 2 or 3 Kleenex's on top of each other.
- For bigger, fuller, stiffer flowers in bright colors, use tissue paper (like for wrapping gifts)
- For super fancy flowers, when flowers are complete, spray the flowers in a spray lightly with spray-adhesive then dip in glitter.
MAKING A ROSE: (instead of a carnation)
Yes I made a lot of those flowers out of facial tissue when I was a teen ager. In fact at that time we could buy boxes of tissue that was divided into sections of pale blue, pink, and yellow and my junior class of 11 students (7 girls and 4 boys) made lots of these flowers to use as decorations for the junior-senior prom.
I'm looking for a way to tint sheets of white tissue paper any other color. I picked up a bunch of plain white and would like to use them for upcoming holidays. Thanks!
Sara from Idaho
How about streeaks of watercolor paint or diluted food coloring.
You could apply the diluted food colouring in a fine spray using a small spray bottle for an interesting speckled/streaky effect - practice on a piece of newspaper until you get the effect you want.
How about trying the spray paint (I think it's Design Master) that's made for artificial flowers. Another thought is to stamp your sheets.
I've read that you can decorate (tint?) paper by blowing liquid bubbles at it. The bubbles are the type you played with as a kid. Dip a "wand" into the liquid and gently blow through the "O" at the paper you want to colorize. When the bubbles pop they leave circular colored designs on the paper. You need to "hang" the paper up, and I'd do it outside, as the bubbles leave their mark on any surface when they pop.
This is a good craft to work on with your kids. Using white tissue paper stuffed with recycled newspaper you can make as many of these fun ghosts as you like. This is a page about how to make easy tissue paper ghosts.
Making paper pom poms from tissue paper is not only easy; it is also a fun activity. These pom poms are perfect decorations for a variety of occasions.
This page is about making tissue paper flowers. Lovely, colorful decorations can be made with this very thin craft paper.