Puppy Poops in Crate

I have a 3 month old Husky/Shepherd mix. She is a very sweet docile dog, but she does not like us to leave her. She will sleep in her crate at night, but if I leave her for even 15 minutes in the crate during the day, she poops in it. She doesn't care if it has poop in it either, she walks all over it. It's quite a mess and the entire process has been quite stressful, because I can not even go to the store. I have tried to put her in the crate to get used to it while we were home, but she will cry. Help!

By Berry from CA

When animals, including us humans will feel the need to empty the bowels when stressed. Train the dog to remain in the crate with the door open. When you leave the animal feels trapped.With the door open it removes that fear.

How about a wind up clock which makes a ticking noise? Also a stuffed toy, nothing the dog can chew off and swallow though. Maybe the puppy is just lonesome and misses his family. When you are around at night he know you are there so no problem. We used the clock and stuffed toy when our dog was little. The vet said the ticking reminded the dog of her mother's heart beat, and the toy just became a litter mate for her. Good luck.

January 28, 2011 Flag

I just got a 7 week old Pit Bull puppy. I crate trained my Cocker Spaniel, so I am trying to do the same for my Pit. She is messing up the crate and when I put her in the kennel she did the same.

When I am at work during the day, I think she has separation anxiety from her mother. She whines, cries, and she poops all over the crate. It is all over everything, even outside of the crate. When she is in the crate at night in my room, she doesn't do that. However, when I come home from work everything is a mess including her.

How can I stop her from putting poop all over the entire crate, outside the crate, and on herself? She gets so fussy and upset until she destroys the crate with poop. Even if I put a toy or blanket in there it gets destroyed with poop, too. Please help.

By Kia from SC

Puppy Poops in Crate

You are not supposed to start crate training until around 16 weeks of age especially with a breed like a Pit Bull that needs a lot of stimulation. I have been training dogs for 5 years and I specialize in power breeds and bully breeds (Bulldogs, Pitbulls, Mastiffs, Boxers, Rottis, etc). (04/16/2010)

By Jellopudding

Puppy Poops in Crate

She is in the crate too long. Puppies can have a bowel movement a lot when they are young. Your baby is also bored and needs more human contact during the day. (04/20/2010)

By K9cats

Puppy Poops in Crate

Please listen to JelloPudding! A Cocker Spaniel is a much different breed than a Pit Bull! Perhaps you could find a puppy sitter until she is potty trained and until obedience trained after that! Whatever you do, please do not punish him because that will cause more problems! And also check in to what time to feed and how long before a puppy needs to poopy after eating! (04/20/2010)

By Deeli

April 16, 2010 Flag

I need some serious help, I have an English Bulldog who's about 7 months old now. He wanders around in the back yard all day and I bring him in to sleep in his crate at night, but every night he keeps pooping in the crate.

I don't know how to get him to stop. His last meal is at about 5pm and he goes in for the night between 9 and 10p, giving him plenty of time to go. I get up to let him out at 4am each day, but he will have already relieved himself in the crate. He only had enough room to turn around in there. I don't understand. Please help.

By Erica from Ontario, CA

Puppy Poops in Crate

Go outside with him. He needs to be reassured that you are there. Being so young he is probably feeling anxiety disorder. Once you start doing this he will feel more secure. He doesn't feel confident enough yet to be placed outside by himself. Stand out there with him, talk to him and praise him when he does poop or pee. Hell throw on a robe and coat over it, I'm sure you will see results, he just wants to get near you as fast as he can and that's all he can think about, not pooping. (02/03/2010)

Puppy in Crate
Puppy Poops in Crate
Pets Dogs House TrainingJanuary 28, 2011
An adult dog in a crate.
Crate Training an Adult Dog
puppy in crate
Puppy Pees in Crate
Dog Crate
Making a Dog Crate Cover
Crate Training a Puppy, Young Papillon in a crate.
Crate Training a Puppy