Cleaning HVAC Ducts

I've just moved, and one bedroom is always hot, I think maybe cleaning the air conditioning duct would improve this, any suggestion how to do it by myself?

By emattos63 from Weston, FL

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

You might want to check the duct work for dampers. You may have a closed or partially closed damper, restricting air flow to that register. Dampers are usually located in the ductwork in the basement.

July 29, 2009 Flag

How do you clean HVAC ducts?

Robin from Glenwood Springs, CO

Answers:

Cleaning HVAC Ducts

Robin, I have heard of some people using their leaf blower to blow out the ducts, but as to particulars I have none. I wouldn't think you'd blow towards the furnace, but then you'd have to open your ductwork to blow them out towards the registers. I have used my big wet/dry vac and a long hose stuck down in the ducts through the registers to clean them. Maybe a combination of blower and vac at the same time. That might work pretty well. There's always the expensive professionals.

Susan in Omaha (09/26/2008)

By Susan M.

Cleaning HVAC Ducts

When we moved in to our house we used a company in our community. They had a coupon on-line. They were the best workers that came through our house. The people that lived here before us had big dogs and you could smell them even after they left and we had replaced the carpet. Their machine purified the air as it cleaned the ducts. It was the best money we ever spent. My son has bad allergies but has never had a problem here. I wish I had this done at all my houses. They were also able to clean the dryer vent at the same visit.

We used The Mad Hatter: http://madhatterservices.com/airDuctCleaning.php

They still have coupons on-line. http://www.savingspotpourri.blogspot.com/ (09/28/2008)

By Savings Assistant

Cleaning HVAC Ducts

I would be careful doing this yourself. I have read that you can disturb harmful mold and bacteria that, if left where it is settled, will not harm you. Research carefully before you proceed. (10/04/2008)

By Kathy from IN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJuly 29, 2009
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
White cat looking up at the camera.
Removing Tear Stains on White Cats
Cleaning eyeglasses with a cloth.
Cleaning Eyeglasses
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 2:38:07 PM on 10.0.1.155 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.