Cedar Shavings for Dog Bedding

When using cedar chips in a dog kennels, could someone tell me what kind of cedar this is?

Paul from Northern Ireland

Cedar is toxic. That is why "hope chests" and linen trunks traditionally have some cedar in it. It kills moths and bugs. Cedar shavings are also used in gardens to kill pests.

In humans and animals cedar splinters and cedar dust cause all kinds of problems, even permanent ones.

Best is to buy a cheap bale of old hay, store it in a snap-top drum or big cooler until use, and toss the used hay onto the compost. The hay stays fairly clean, but crumbles and flattens.

I have used hay for sled dogs for 30 years. They don't like dog houses, except when they have pups, and they drag the hay outside and sleep on it there.

Have FUN!

DearWebby

http://webby.com/humor

Use Aspen wood shavings instead. It is sold for bedding of small animals like mice and hamsters.

Use of cedar shavings ruins a dog's sense of smell, and worse.

Read this: http://exoticpe  woodshavings.htm

My family used some hamster cedar shavings in our dogs doghouse and our older german shephard had an allergic reaction to it. She had trouble walking straight like she had an inner ear infection and she never recovered from it. I wouldn't use them and I would try and find a different form of bedding. We had another small dog sleep in the same house at the same time and she was fine so it could affect some dogs differently. I won't ever use cedar shavings for any of my dogs.

March 17, 2009 Flag

I just built my dogs a new house with a hinged top and a removable front for ease of cleaning. Is there anything wrong with using lose cedar shavings for their bedding? It would be cheaper than buying a pillow. Less messy than having to wash a cover. Whenever I wanted to change the bedding I could just sweep it out and pour new in.

KirkZ from Mount Pleasant, SC

Answers:

Cedar Shavings for Dog Bedding

I wouldn't. I hear that, the scented oils in the shavings can affect the animal's metabolism and liver function, and possibly induce cancer or precancerous lesions, especially on the liver.
Also the shavings can cause allergic reactions and/or asthma, and trigger asthma attacks, in humans, and in the animals.
(03/26/2007)

By Magen

Cedar Shavings for Dog Bedding

Cedar shavings are toxic. Use pine shavings instead. Or how about old terry cloth towels or old cotton blankets? These could be washed when soiled. Will save you a lot of money in the long run. JMHO

By Denise

Cedar Shavings for Dog Bedding

Is your dog's house outside? Use straw or hay. (03/27/2007)

By Rosa

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets DogsMarch 17, 2009
Cedar Chest
Removing Mothball Odor From a Cedar Chest
Bedding in a laundry basket.
Uses for Old Bedding
Close up of a lock on a cedar chest.
Restoring a Cedar Chest
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 8:05:06 AM on 10.0.2.145 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.