Breed Information: Boston Terrier

Breed Description: The Boston Terrier is a compact, well-muscled and clean-cut dog with a lively temperament and high degree of intelligence. This breed has a broad, flat head, large round eyes and a sweet docile expression. Affectionate and loving, this dog is determined, strong and sturdy and makes an excellent companion.

Group: Non-Sporting

Purpose of Breed: Baiting Bulls, Ratting

Country of Origin: USA

Average Size: Boston Terriers range from 11-14 pounds and 10 - 16 inches tall.

Color(s): Either brindle or black with white markings.

Coat Type: Boston Terriers have short and smooth coats, which require minimal care.

Grooming: This breed is a minimal shedder and its smooth, short coat is easy to maintain. Standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails is required.

Exercise Needs: Boston Terriers are quite athletic, enjoy walks, flyball and agility trials and like all dogs, benefit from regular exercise. Their size makes them suitable for apartment living as long as they are exercised daily. Care should be taken during exercise to avoid overheating them, which can lead to difficulties breathing.

Temperament: This dog breed makes a good companion due to its obedient, protective and gentle nature. Boston Terriers are bright, alert and exceptionally affectionate. Although they are friendly breed, they are initially suspicious of strangers and make good watchdogs.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to eye problems, breathing and whelping difficult.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-14 years.

Trivia: The popularity of the Boston Terrier swelled so much in the 1920s that the breed represented between 20 and 30 percent of all of the dogs entered in dog shows.

More Information: Boston Terrier Club of America, Boston Terrier Rocky

Credits: Booth Photography - Dog Owner: Billie Bunch
Ch. V's (Rocky) of JJ ll Boston Terrier Sisser
Ch. B & B's Unique Carbon Copy (Sisser).
Boston Terrier Breed Info

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

hi my name is kayln and i just got a twelve week old boston terrier he is so playful !!!but i need to potty train him was yours hard to potty train?

Very wonderful descriptive info page on this wonderful dog breed that I own.

hi kaykay no mine was easy breezy do you still need some help with this subject

I have an 8 wk old boston and I'm wanting to train him to go in a tray lined with news papers is this possible my mom has done this with her Maltese. I don't know anyone with this breed so I'm going on nothing and I have 2 boys 8 & 9. can someone tell me what I'm in 4? crockett911 at yahoo dot com

These dogs are the biggest lords in the world and I actually wouldn't mind if they ruled the world because they're always getting into mischief!

My family is getting a dog and we need a dog that doesn't shed.

Boston Terrier - Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Boston TerrierMarch 20, 2006
American Staffordshire Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Cairn Terrier
Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Welsh Terrier
Welsh Terrier Breed Information
Yorkshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos