Lawn MowersMachines

Power Pro Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

I have an 18 hp Power Pro riding mower (MTD) which doesn't start. I bought it at a yard sale, replaced battery with a new one rated for this hp, but it didn't start. I replaced the starter switch, plugs, cleaned all contacts/switches, put in new fuel and filter. I jumped the solenoid since the ignition and on/off switch does nothing along with amp gauge on the dash not giving a reading. The starter barely clicks while the engine barely turns over 2 or 3 times. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Mark from Northeast

Gee I wonder why it was for sale at a yard sale?

Hi There! I was on the phone with my husband when I saw your post, so I read it to him. He said to test the starter by (pull it out if needed) take the jumper cable straight from the battery to the starter (this is hot wiring) If it doesn't turn over, it is the starter. As for the no readings on the dash, he thinks there is a fuse someplace that is blown.

thanks wife2jfbuilder. Jumped starter while it was still connected and it barely turned engine over and as far as a fuse, there is a 20A under seat which is good while the ampmeter on dash just has a wire looped through it twice behind dash w/no other fuse in sight?

Try here - http://www.thel  ower_repair.php. they have 10 or so things you can try.

Hi what I would do is disconnect the starter 12 volt line completely. Now hook you 12 volt battery charger up, negative to ground on mower and touch the positive wire to positive terminal on the starter if it spins freely you have a wiring issue if not a bad starter. Hope this helps