Cleaning Farm Eggs

How do you clean farm fresh eggs?

By Kaydee from Mandan, ND

Best Answer

Wipe the eggs with a damp and wrung out cloth if there is obvious something on them, otherwise leave them alone. There is a coating on them naturally that keeps bacteria out of the shell/and therefore the egg. The shell is porous to some extent.

Best Answer

I have a very good book that is a guide in egg safety. What it states and I use myself, is that because the protective bloom gets washed off, once you wash the egg you need to replace the coating. Discard any eggs that are truly spoiled or truly dirty, dip the egg for 30 seconds in a solution of 1 teaspoon bleach to 1 quart water heated to 101 degrees F, wipe the egg dry with a paper towel or clean rag, then rub the egg with vegetable oil before refrigerating to prolong shelf life. I hope this helps.

I have had farm eggs before, but never really cleaned them other than rinsed with water. I always swear by good old baking soda for cleaning anything. Give it a try.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Anonymous

I hope knitter06040 was joking because egg shells are porous and those chemicals will be absorbed in to the egg :-o

When I was in agriculture class in high school we just washed them in plain water and then graded them and packed them. I had fun in that class and especially being a city girl growing up in Los Angeles. A bit of heaven in an asphalt jungle :-)

We just wash our eggs in plain, warm water and use a rough rag to get rid of bits of hay and chicken poop of the ones that need a bit of a scrub to get rid of debris.

Well, the egg farmers in ND (family) would take the egg basket, set that in the egg pail, set that whole mess on top of the electric egg washer/swisher. Warm water, a couple drops of dish soap, mostly back then in was Palmolive. 30 minutes of gentle swish and you took them out to crate them. For a few, an old worn out washcloth rinsed in warm soapy water, a brush over and you are done.