Cleaning Farm Eggs

How do you clean farm fresh eggs?

By Kaydee from Mandan, ND

Best Answer

Wipe the eggs with a damp and wrung out cloth if there is obvious something on them, otherwise leave them alone. There is a coating on them naturally that keeps bacteria out of the shell/and therefore the egg. The shell is porous to some extent.

Best Answer

I have a very good book that is a guide in egg safety. What it states and I use myself, is that because the protective bloom gets washed off, once you wash the egg you need to replace the coating. Discard any eggs that are truly spoiled or truly dirty, dip the egg for 30 seconds in a solution of 1 teaspoon bleach to 1 quart water heated to 101 degrees F, wipe the egg dry with a paper towel or clean rag, then rub the egg with vegetable oil before refrigerating to prolong shelf life. I hope this helps.

I have had farm eggs before, but never really cleaned them other than rinsed with water. I always swear by good old baking soda for cleaning anything. Give it a try.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

I hope knitter06040 was joking because egg shells are porous and those chemicals will be absorbed in to the egg :-o

When I was in agriculture class in high school we just washed them in plain water and then graded them and packed them. I had fun in that class and especially being a city girl growing up in Los Angeles. A bit of heaven in an asphalt jungle :-)

We just wash our eggs in plain, warm water and use a rough rag to get rid of bits of hay and chicken poop of the ones that need a bit of a scrub to get rid of debris.

Well, the egg farmers in ND (family) would take the egg basket, set that in the egg pail, set that whole mess on top of the electric egg washer/swisher. Warm water, a couple drops of dish soap, mostly back then in was Palmolive. 30 minutes of gentle swish and you took them out to crate them. For a few, an old worn out washcloth rinsed in warm soapy water, a brush over and you are done.

June 16, 2010 Flag

What's a good way to clean eggs that are farm fresh from the chicken coop?

MB in WY

Answers:

Cleaning Farm Eggs

My mom raised chickens on our farm. She would wipe the fresh eggs with a cloth soaked in vinegar. Everyone loved her fresh eggs. (02/19/2005)

By Kathy in IL

Cleaning Farm Eggs

I have heard that unless the eggs are dirty (ie., chicken manure) the eggs will keep longer and be less prone to get things like salmonella if you do not remove the coating the chicken leaves on the egg. So it depends on their condition and how you are going to use them, if you even need to clean them at all.

Warmest wishes.

(02/19/2005)

By Denise

Cleaning Farm Eggs

My parents raised chickens for several years and sold the eggs. So did my husband and I for a few years. There very seldom was ever an egg that was dirty. As long as the chickens are provided with laying boxes padded with straw they will use those boxes and you should never have dirty eggs. If they are being allowed to deposit their eggs on the ground on a regular basis, that's another story. That was our experience when raising chickens. Over the years it was a rarity to ever find a dirty egg. For the rare egg that might have a little dirt spot it could easily be washed off with vinegar and used. (02/19/2005)

By grannyz

Cleaning Farm Eggs

As I understand it, "never" wash eggs before you are ready to use them. There is a natural protective covering on them that shouldn't be removed. Eggs with manure on them can be wiped with a damp cloth, if it's necessary. If you clean eggs with soap, etc, it allows bacteria to enter through the porous shells and that's where e-coli is a danger. We've had chickens for nearly 20 years and only cleaned eggs when we are ready to use them, and only if it is necessary. I can't think of a single time we have had a problem with that. (02/19/2005)

By Margie

Cleaning Farm Eggs

Water. That is all you should put on farm fresh eggs. If ours are especially "caked up", I put them in a dish of water and let them soak an hour or so. Then, I just rinse them off or scrub them more thoroughly with a wash cloth.

Eggshells are porous, I would not add soaps, cleaners, or anything else, just water. (02/20/2005)

By Lois Ann from NY

Cleaning Farm Eggs

I raise my chickens and use a cool water and vinegar solution only. However, I do have one inquiry. Some of my eggs have blood on the outside of them. Am I feeding my chickens something incorrectly? They get cherry grit, oyster shell, layers pellets, and plenty of water. Is there something wrong with them. (02/05/2008)

By Country Angel

Cleaning Farm Eggs

We put plastic Easter eggs in our nesting boxes to get the chickens to lay in the nest. Hope it helps you. (03/25/2008)

By Mary

Cleaning Farm Eggs

Eggs with blood on them are a hen's first egg she's laid. We call them "virgin eggs". (11/10/2008)

Cleaning Farm Eggs

I use a nail file to clean my eggs. (12/21/2009)

By abee60

Farm Fresh Eggs
Cleaning Farm Fresh Eggs
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsJune 16, 2010
Cooking With Farm Fresh Egg
Cooking With Farm Fresh Eggs
Preventing Snakes From Stealing Eggs
Preventing Snakes From Stealing Eggs
Farm Fresh Eggs
Tips for Using Farm Fresh Eggs
Community Supported Agriculture Farm
Joining a Community Supported Agriculture Farm
🎉
🎄