Finding a Distributor for Homemade Pies

I make sweet potato pies and need to now how to get a distributor to take my product to supermarkets.

By Sandra from NJ

Best Answer

There is a family here in SD that makes kuchen and kolaches that they sell in several grocery stores in the area. I saw them interviewed on the news one night and it sounded and looked like they had a special kitchen set up in their basement. the interview didn't go into licensing, etc. I am assuming when they first started the business they probably made the contacts themselves and delivered the product to the stores too. I don't know what procedure they have now.

If you are going to sell to the public, you will probably need a business license. You will also have to register with your local Health Department. In most states your kitchen will be considered a "restaurant" or a "caterer" and will have to be regularly inspected by the Health Department. You will have to meet all of their requirements for food sanitation, equipment, temperature regulation, etc.

I would start by calling them and finding out what their requirements are and go from there. Good Luck!