Finding a Distributor for Homemade Pies

I make sweet potato pies and need to now how to get a distributor to take my product to supermarkets.

By Sandra from NJ

Best Answer

There is a family here in SD that makes kuchen and kolaches that they sell in several grocery stores in the area. I saw them interviewed on the news one night and it sounded and looked like they had a special kitchen set up in their basement. the interview didn't go into licensing, etc. I am assuming when they first started the business they probably made the contacts themselves and delivered the product to the stores too. I don't know what procedure they have now.

If you are going to sell to the public, you will probably need a business license. You will also have to register with your local Health Department. In most states your kitchen will be considered a "restaurant" or a "caterer" and will have to be regularly inspected by the Health Department. You will have to meet all of their requirements for food sanitation, equipment, temperature regulation, etc.

I would start by calling them and finding out what their requirements are and go from there. Good Luck!

Woman in red checked apron holding homemade lattice crust pie
Selling Homemade Pies
Business and Legal BusinessJune 25, 2010
Miniature Pumpkin Pies
Making Miniature Pumpkin Pies
Baking Fruit Pies
Baking Fruit Pies
A glass bowl of ground sausage.
Sausage Pie Recipes
Freezing Pumplin Pies
Freezing Pumpkin Pies