Making Individual Pies

Category Pies
Individual pies of fruit, veggies or meat can be very convenient for hand held eating. One serving pies are great for a meal entree, dessert or the lunch box.

I'm not the best at making pie crusts. Often, I've had to patch a crust. And that's OK. The pies always tasted just as good.

I had some cans of Mothers Maid cherry pie filling I bought at Dollar Tree (a delicious bargain). I decided to put one or two to use. Knowing my level of expertise with pastry, I bought refrigerated pie crusts.

I pricked the bottom crust with a fork and pre baked it before adding the filling. It still turned out soggy. You might know, it did not go to waste. Neither did the pie crust scraps.

I put them in a plastic bag and refrigerated them, figuring I would make 'stickies'. I haven't had them in sixty years. When Mama made pies, she let us have the scrap pie crust dough. We rolled it out, slathered it with butter, sugar and cinnamon. Then, we cut it into strips, rolled the strips into pin wheels and baked them. They were sticky and so good.

(Back to my pie). I decided to take these leftover scraps and make an individual pie, instead. I wanted to bake it on a bare rack (as you would pizza, thanks to littergitter), to make sure it was not soggy.

I used a large saucer to fit the scraps together. I closed every hole I could find. I filled one side of the crust with cherry filling. I folded the other side over the cherries. I even wet the rim of the  bottom crust before adding the top. I wanted a good seal. I pressed the edges of the two layers together with a fork.

I transferred the pie from the saucer to a cooling rack. Into the hot oven went my makeshift tart. Just to be on the safe side, I put a pan from my toaster oven on the rack below the pie. Accidents do happen and my oven still looks brand new.

In a little while, the kitchen began to smell so good. It made me wonder if I should have brushed an egg wash on the crust. I decided not. I would play Julia Child another time.

At about ten minutes before the pie should have finished baking, I looked to see how things were progressing. The only thing left on the cooling rack was a couple of cherries and a few bits of crust. All the rest had fallen through the rack into the pan beneath. (I'm still laughing).

I ate what was left on the rack and left the pie underneath in the oven while it cooled. It continued to cook for a while. When I took it out, much of the filling had caramelized. I was pleasantly surprised. It was quite good. No blue ribbons for looks at the county fair, but right tasty.

My tip: I still think baking individual pies this way is a good idea. It saves a lot of calories over frying them. But you can rest assured, if I try this again, the crust will be one piece rather than scraps fitted together. We live, we learn.

I'm still laughing.

This was a quick solution when I had family at the last minute for dinner. My in-laws favorite dessert is apple pie, so I made these muffin tin personal pies. This took me about 1 1/4 hours from prep to finish. I made the crust and filling from scratch. You could use pre-made crust and filling to cut the time by more than half.

Total Time: 1 1/4 hours

Yield: 12 individual pies

Source: Me

• Filling
  • 4-6 large apples
  • 1/2 tsp cinnimon
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp flour
  • Crust
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 5-7 Tbsp ice cold water

1. To make filling: wash, peel and dice apples.
  2. Add cinnamon, flour, and sugar. Mix together and set aside.
  3. To make the crust: sift flour and salt together in a bowl.
  4. Place flour and salt mixture in a food processor. Add shortening. Blend until pea sized pieces form.
  5. Advertisement

6. Through food processor spout add ice cold water slowly one tablespoon at a time.
  7. Add water until all flour mixture in moistened and pull away from edges of food processor to form a ball. Do not add more than 7 Tbsp. of water.
  8. Divide dough in half.
  9. Roll dough out slightly thicker than when putting in a pie plate.
  10. Advertisement

11. Cut dough into approximately 4 inch squares and line muffin tins with them.
  12. Place filling in each individual tin, and fold over dough.
  13. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.

These mini pies offer the perfect ratio of crust to pie and let you have a taste without getting too full. This is a page about miniature pumpkin pies.

Making Miniature Pumpkin Pies

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 3

Make mini, one serving, lemon meringue pies in a muffin pan. This is a page about mini lemon meringue pies.

Mini Lemon Meringue Pies

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Hand held pies, whether sweet or savory, are fun to make and eat. This page contains hand pie recipes.

Enjoying a Hand Pie

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts PiesJanuary 25, 2020
🐰
🍀
🌻

Generated 2020-02-22 06:08:37 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️