How do I soften hard bagels?

Every once in a while, I forget about the last bagel in the bag and it ends up as hard as a rock. I am tired of dipping them in soup; does anyone have an idea to make them soft?

Thank you!

Dampen with water and place in microwave or oven toaster or regular for a few minutes. This works well for biscuits or cornbread - bjm

To rejuvenate a "middle aged" ; ) bagel, I slice it in half and put it, cut side up in the steamer. Steam gently, just till warm/softened. If it feels a little wet for your taste, you can pop it in the broiler for a moment to crisp the toastable surfaces. I hope this helps : )

Thanks for the ideas! I appreciate your help.

My mother-in-law was visiting this weekend, and she told me to wrap the bagel in a paper towel, and microwave for 30 seconds at half power, check to see if it is soft, and repeat as many times as it takes to get soft. This works with frozen bagels too, since I tried it this morning!

Hard Bagels
Softening Hard Bagels
Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadSeptember 15, 2004
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
A variety of bagels.
Freezing Bagels
Storing Bagels
Bagel with smoked salmon.
Recipes Using Bagels