Houseplants That Are Easy to Grow

Question:

What houseplants would be easy to grow? I have a little sun exposure, and I have not had good luck with plants. They always die, except for aloe vera. Can anyone help?

AnnMel from Mountain Home, AR

Answer:

Success with houseplants is simply a matter of choosing the right plant for the right place and caring for it in the right way. That said, some plants definitely seem more tolerant and forgiving when it comes to being given less-than-optimal growing conditions. If you feel like you could use a confidence booster, try these plants first.

All you need to do to grow them successfully (usually) is to avoid over-watering them or baking them in a south-facing window in the summer. As a general rule, water them once a week during the growing season and once every two weeks in winter:

Asapragus Fern, Aspidistra (Cast Iron Plant), Billbergia (Queen's Tears), Chlorophytum (Spider Plant), Cissus, Fatshedera (Ivy), Fatsia, Helxine (Baby's Tears), Monstera (Splitleaf Philodendron), Parlour Palm, Pothos, Sansevieria (Snake Plant, S. hahnii, Golden Birds Nest or Mother-in-Law's Tongue), Tradescantia group including, Zebrina (Wandering Jew or Inch Plant).

There are also a number of techniques to try in order to maximize the limited light exposure you have. A lack of windows can be overcome by placing plants near white or pale-colored walls or setting them on top of or in front of a mirrored or other reflective surface.

Good luck!
Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Grow a houseplant called Pathos or Spider plant. Both can stand low light and are hard to kill. Both are very common Water well about 1 a week. Here is a web site:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_flowers ... cle/0,1785,HGTV_3587_1502959,00.html

I love giant Sansivera (sp?), otherwise known as Mother-in-law-tongue! I got a start during a winter

garden center 75% off sale of one large plant. I placed it into a large pot and oila! It's LOVELY.

Another plant is the common Jade, which takes and love less care. There are many more. Keep searching and reading. You will find the one that

works within your home if you don't give up.

God bless you. : )

I live about 100 miles West of you, and I grow African Violets in my North-facing window. They don't require direct sunlight or much care, and they bloom continually. I've started and given away so many plants.

Sanseveria(Mother-in law's Tongue or Snake plant), Jade tree, Spider plant, Aloe Vera, Rubber tree, Poinsettia, Christmas cactus and Philodendron have all survived in my chlorophyll killer's hands, some of them for over 20 years. I water them all once weekly. and periodically repot as needed. They are all in east or west windows.

I do not feed them, but use leftover coffe/tea for watering when I have some.

My Christmas cacti just had about 15 blossoms each half way between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Should I call them Thanksmas cacti?

I read an article the other day of a woman from Switzerland, who in 1884, brought a cutting from her Christmas Cactus with her...and today, 122 years later, her descendants all still have clippings of this plant...they keep it in low light, in a cooler area..most of the year..during the summer they said they take it outside and actually (because of the age of the plant and history) they put a netting over it to keep the bugs off...I thought that story was phenomenal...but every year, they still get beautiful blooms..and the plant they showed in the picture was over five feet in circumference!! So there really is something to be said about lowlight plants!!

Peace plants are very easy to grow, don't need a lot of sun, wilt when need water, then perk right back up.

There's a plant called "cast iron plant" which I think is aspidistra, or something like that. The Victorians used it as a parlor plant and it's supposed to be near impossible to kill.

Your expert can be better: the illustrated "Sansevieria" I an Aloe (Aloe variegata). Best Regards, Joel

Spider plants are very hardy. Of all the plants listed, I'd suggest that one. I've never had one die on me, and I've certainly killed many of the other suggestions!!

I have managed to kill every spider plant I have owned in the last 10 years. The one I have now is on its way out. My best luck has been with the pothos. I have two and both have grown from their high perch to the floor, about 8 feet, and look full and healthy as can be. But the poor spider plant... so sad.

Potted Philodendron
Houseplants That Are Easy to Grow
Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsJanuary 25, 2007
Fertilizing Houseplants
Fertilizing Houseplants
Insect Problems on Houseplants
Solutions for Insect Pests on Houseplants
Self Watering Houseplant
Watering Houseplants On Vacation
Houseplant
Saving Money on Houseplants
🎉
🎄