Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Mopping Hardwood Floors

I clean my poly-coated wood floors with hot water and vinegar and it works very well. The only problem I am having is it does not remove footprints from the dog or people. I am sure this is from the natural oils on the foot. I can get them off if I clean them on my hands and knees, but due to health problems this becomes very painful. If anyone has any tips I would love to hear them.

By Paula

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Grandma J [46]10/16/2010

Hot water is not always good, warm is. Get a car buffer. Many different kinds and extended handles. Like the old shoe polishers of yesteryear. Buff the floor. I take a couple of wash clothes, you can take old towels and make stitch them in a fold to fit your shoes, just skate the floor clean. Many other ways, like tell the kids to scoot on their butts works too.

By Lilac [18]10/16/2010

I clean mine with my swiffer wet jet.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Mopping Hardwood Floors

What product do you use with water to mop hardwood floors, that doesn't leave a dull film?

Carol from Fairview, TN

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

Swiffer Wet Jet has a wood floor cleaner that I use regularly on my wood floors. It cleans great, smells great, and doesn't leave a film. (01/30/2006)

By Robin

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

I use Murphy's oil soap and it doesn't dull the shine on the floors. (01/30/2006)

By Suejaney

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

Best cleaner I've found is 1 gallon warm water and 1/4 cup white vinegar. It recommended by the contractor that installed our hardwood dance floor.

E (01/30/2006)

By EllenW

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

Promise me that you will never mop your hardwood floors. Unless they have been polyurethaned. Wood and water don't mix. I use the Swiffer mop with a wet wipe from the dollar store. It picks up all the dust and grime. It's rather like using a damp rag on the floor only better. (01/31/2006)

By Carol

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

My sister uses plain Windex. Just spray on floor and wipe off. It works wonders to bring back the shine. She swears by it. (01/31/2006)

By dtmiddle1

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

I just used Swiffer wet jet for wood floors for the first time on my beautiful new wood floors and what a mistake. You can see the spots I missed because they are still shiny and beautiful, but the Swiffer left a horrible film that shows footprints where we have walked. I will stick to just damp mopping with a little vinegar thrown in when they are really dirty from now on. Guess Grandma knew best. (07/01/2007)

By Cindi

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

Mrs. Meyer's natural soaps and floor cleaners are new and maybe that will give your floor a shine. Otherwise scrub brush and mild detergent to strip the wax and reapply the shining agent. (02/15/2008)

By Deborah

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

All that stuff has oils in it. You can use vinegar and water, pine sol and water, and even bleach water. If your hardwood floor has a good coat of urethane on it, there will be no problem. The flooring companies want you to buy their products, so they tell you not to use the others. My husband and his family have been in the flooring business for years and they use the products listed above.

You don't have to use a dry mop or spray it on. You can put water and the cleaning product in the bucket and damp/wet mop the floor. If there's a good amount of finish on the wood no harm can be done. You don't have to dry the floors afterward if you mop it, only if you basically leave a substantial amount of water on the floor. It can't hurt it if the coating of urethane was done right. If you don't have any urethane on the floors and it's extremely dull or grainy to the touch, you need to get it screened and coated and don't dare put water or any other cleaners on it at all until it's fixed.

Never wax hardwood floors. It causes it to loose the shine quicker, even though that is supposed to do the opposite. Only use polyurethane to coat the floors. My husband mostly sands and refinishes hardwood, and that will cost you thousands of dollars to get off if you ever decide to do your floors the right way. (06/05/2008)

By Beth

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

You will think me a brilliant. I use distilled water with a little Windex then mop dry with one of those 7X12 inch terry cloth flat mops ($12 Home Depot). Why? Because normal water has calcium which leaves white deposits, dullness on that nice glossy urethane. (11/02/2008)

By Ann J.

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

We bought our hardwood from the company, "That Old Flooring". Make a gallon of strong tea it doesn't matter what kind. I use the cheapest. Use hot water to bring out all the acid in the tea. You will be amazed at how shiny your floors will become. The acid in tea is the key to cleaning and shine. You do not rinse. Use 6-12 bags depends on how much cleaning you will be doing. This has worked for the past 6 years. Our floor color is called "gun stock". Let me know what you all think. Of course, do not add sugar. (01/14/2009)

By Sharon D.

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

I have always used a sponge mop and hot water with a bit of methylated spirits, just a few capfuls to around 6-7 litres to help the water dry quickly and prevent streaking. My floors have a high gloss hard sealer and have been polished for about 14 years. They have held up unbelievably well. I reckon the real killer of these floors is allowing sand to be ground in to them. (02/01/2010)

By eagleau

Archive: Mopping Hardwood Floors

I have a terrible white film on my hardwood floors and don't know how to get it off and restore the luster back to my floors. Can anyone help with suggestions? I am so afraid to make them worse.

Thanks.

By LO from Huntington Beach, CA

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

I wouldn't use any product on wood floors, just a light amount of water once a month or so and wipe it up right away with a soft rag. If the floors have a film you can't get rid of, it might be time to refinish, which isn't that expensive, but it's a pain to DIY it. (03/04/2010)

By Allison5

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

I recently had new hardwood floors installed. To clean and remove any excess glue, the installers used mineral spirits to wipe down the floors. You might want to try a little of that on an inconspicuous spot (under a piece of furniture, for example). Wait a day or so and see what the area looks like. If it still looks good, wipe down all your floors with mineral spirits. (03/05/2010)

By Southern Saver

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

Home Depot has a product called Rejuvenate and you will be amazed what your floor will look like after your finished applying. Make sure you buy the terry mop cover at the same time. It should be in the floor cleaning section. Make sure you read the directions first. My hickory floor is about 5 years old and it looked brand new after first use of product. Application lasts 2-3 months. (03/05/2010)

By ookiesmom

RE: Mopping Hardwood Floors

There is a great product called Holloway House Quick Shine. I've found them in Walmart and in Lowe's. (03/08/2010)

By Deeshep