Using Cheaper Cuts of Meat

With the cost of fuel cutting away at our food budget, we have been buying less expensive cuts of meat and looking for innovative ways to serve them. I found that a tougher piece of meat can be pan fried, cut into smallish pieces, and then run through our small food processor to produce a coarse pate which can then be mixed with minced onions, flavorings and a favorite salad dressing to make a delicious sandwich spread. It really makes a piece of otherwise challenging meat into a delicious and easy meal ingredient when served on bread with condiments, and there is plenty of room to experiment with your own flavorings.

By Cathy S. from Delaware

Use those less expensive cuts of meat and put in the crock pot to have super tender meat. Use a packet of onion soup mix (or your spice imagination) and water and it is good to go.

Hi Cathy! I agree w/you on using cheaper cuts of meat. But. . .we have a grinder attachment to our mixer. We buy London Broil, round steak, etc. & grind them up for hamburger. We get super lean hamburger that tastes great and for less than $2.50/#. We usually get them when on sale for $1.99/#. Can't beat it!

I always purchase chuck eye steaks, they are the best. When chuck roasts are on sale ask you meat cutter for chuck eye steaks. Very tender and delish!

I buy a cross rib roast when its on sale for under two dollars a pound, I buy the whole thing between 15 and 20 pounds in the plastic bag, let it age in the refrigerator for 15 days unopened and then cut it into steaks, I grind some and chop up the little pieces for stir fry, Soups or stew. This works out to be less than a dollar a serving and I can make my stakes as thick as I want and with aging it is so tender and flavorful. I vacuum seal it in portions and put them in the freezer.

Cathy, Thank you so much. What a clever idea. I thought I knew every way to cut corners, but I have to admit, I had not thought of a "pate". I will try it soon, thanks, Maureen

That's an awesome tip! thanks very much!

Ditto on the crockpot; I use cream of mushroom soup & some worchestershire sauce (as little/much to your own taste) & you're good to go. Makes a great gravy!

RE: Steaks! In fact I just purchased two beautiful lean chuck roasts this weekend, put them in the freezer until I was ready to use them/slice them. (Slightly frozen steaks are easier to cut to more uniform thickness/sizes. Instead of spending $6-8 per steak, I spent $16 and had steak enough for 5 plus two pieces left over for an additional meal (salad, sandwich, etc.)