Things to Consider When Buying a Leather Sofa

I am looking for input on buying a leather sofa. Would you buy one that was one solid piece? Or would you purchase one that had seams in it? I don't know where they would get a large enough piece to cover a big couch. I had rather get one that had seams in it and you could see it was sewed together. I am just wondering what others thought. I couldn't figure this one out.

By mamacrafter from TN

My parents have had some leather couches. They got one that had attached cushions. Mom thought that would be good so that they wouldn't shift. They ended up with sunken spots since the cushions couldn't be rearranged to even out the wear.

When they got new furniture, they made sure that the cushions were removable. Other than that, I don't think they've had any issues with the leather furniture.

I suspect the seams that you were wondering about would be personal preference. I haven't paid much attention, but I think that the back of the couch might have one seam down the middle.

I had to go look at mine. I have cushions that look separate but are attached and they have two seams running down them. I have never had a problem with the seams but I have never had young children around them except an occasional grand child.

I was told one time that if it's all one piece, it's not true leather because as you said, where would you find one that large. Cows aren't that big. Also, I would never again buy a leather sofa. Mine is so uncomfortable. It is not at all "cushy".

I just bought my "retirement recliner". It is a very expensive leather chair. It has several seams that show prominently. the leather is very soft. It's very comfy.

More important than the number of seams is to know the type of 'leather' you are getting.

Full-grain, finest outer portion of the hide and left untreated, not for people with pets or children due to durability.

Top-grain, outer hide but treated, 2nd most expensive but more durable that full-grain

Split-grain, inner hide, not as durable as top-grain, used for sides, back and lower price furniture.

Bonded, least expensive, made from leftover scraps combined to look like a single piece, lacks resilience of the others.

Although a leather sofa can look chic, know that if you live in a "cold" area that when you sit, it will be cold. I am forever putting down a throw before I sit down. Also if this is going into a room where it is used a lot. It will eventually lose shape.

Typically the cushions are going to be connected. They may look like separate cushions, but they are most likely attached together. I would sew it together like you stated.