Substituting Evaporated Milk for Whole Milk in Recipes

Can I use Carnation (or store brand) evaporated milk the same as whole milk in a recipe? Or is there some "rule of thumb" to go by when cooking with canned evaporated milk? Does it need to be diluted?

By Sandy from Richmond, VA

Best Answer

You can certainly use it interchangeably in recipes. Simply dilute with plain water, (2 parts milk and 1 part water, according to AllRecipes, though I had thought it was 1:1). I think it has a richer flavor, which lends itself nicely to cooking. I always use it instead of regular milk and cream in my "cream of" soups.

Best Answer

Its a 1:1 ratio on evaporated milk not sure whats up with All Recipes. My Joy of Cooking calls for using a 1:1 ratio when substituing for milk in a recipe and its a standard. Straight evaporated milk may be substituted for light cream in recipes. I too believe it has a richer flavor than regular milk.

Best Answer

It usually says right on the can that mixing the evap with an equal quantity of water produces milk that is "not below the standards" for regular whole milk. The 1:1 ratio is best when replacing milk in a recipe, and undiluted evap works well most of the time as a substitute for cream, except for whipping. Evap can be whipped when chilled awhile, but it's nothing like real whipped cream.

That is what my late Mother used to do, however, she just poured some of the milk into the kettle with whatever she was cooking, then added some water. Basically she was eyeballing it.

It's definitely 1:1. Use full strength when adding to mashed potatoes. Cay from FL

You can dilute it if you want, but I wouldn't, might make potatoes runny after you add butter. I used whole milk or canned milk, which ever I have on hand and use it full strength.

November 24, 2011 Flag

Can I use evaporated milk in making mashed potatoes as a substitute for whole milk?

By Marge J.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Yes you can substitute that for whole milk in mashed potatoes. Use it the same amount as you would whole milk. The only difference between evaporated milk and real milk is that it has been heated and made to be thicker. It is just not as tasty to drink straight but it is the same thing.

Blessings, Robyn

Best Answer

Absolutely, and you will love the richer flavor it gives your potatoes! I also use it in my potato soup and you can really tell the difference compared to using regular milk - just not the same!

If you do you will never go back to using regular milk again, because it tastes so much better!

Evaporated Milk
Substitutions for Milk in Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsDecember 28, 2010
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Fat Free Cream Cheese
Substituting Fat Free Cream Cheese When Baking
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
🎉
🎄