Browsing: Refurbishing a Faded Patio Umbrella

Refurbishing A Faded Patio Umbrella

contest winner icon

My community has recycling once a month. It is amazing the things you can find that people are throwing out. For example, our deck table needed an umbrella and someone threw one out. It was faded but otherwise in pretty good shape. I decided to spray paint it using an indoor/outdoor paint that is good for wood, metal, and more. I worked perfectly and I have had no problems with the paint running or fading. The umbrella is a little lopsided in the photo but it really isn't crooked!

By LoracMc from IA

patio table with umbrella down
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

What a great idea. I would have thought the paint would crack with the constant opening and closing of the umbrella, but it doesn't seem that way.

Am I right in assuming you painted the fabric part? What was the brand of paint you used?

Great ideas. You also recovered your chairs with vinyl table cloths. I love your ideas. Keep em coming. Thanks for sharing.

Love the deck chairs too, I'm lovin your ideas!

You've just reinforced my view that "one person's trash is another's treasure." And there's one less item in the landfill! Good job!

I loved your chair idea too! I will use this idea very soon since my umbrella is pretty sorry looking! Thanks.

You know, this is a really good idea. I had thought of doing it with my patio umbrella that is faded, but still in good shape. I was wondering if painting it would work but didn't know of anyone trying it yet. Your umbrella gooks new and I bet the paint makes it waterproof. I'm thinking you painted with a type of Rustoleum paint. Thanks for the post.

Great idea! I am going to try it.

July 9, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know what I can do to improve the look of a faded out patio umbrella? It looks too difficult to recover. Can it be painted?

Kathie from So. Portland, ME

Answers:

Improving a Faded Patio Umbrella

Depending on the type of material it is, I have seen where people have taken fabric paint and either changed the entire umbrella or added different designs to help improve the looks of it. Even adding things from the craft section of your local store may help. Just because it is faded doesn't mean you can't make it look like it's supposed to be that color! (12/03/2005)

Patio Umbrella
Refurbishing a Faded Patio Umbrella
Home and Garden Repair Furniture OutdoorJuly 9, 2010
Installer Pavers
Making a Paving Stone Patio
Umbrella Tree
Growing an Umbrella Tree (Magnolia tripetala)
wood patio umbrella table and chairs
Replacement Parts for Patio Umbrella Table
Blue Chairs and Table on Patio
Repairing Patio Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 9:30:14 PM on 10.0.2.173 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.