Planting Potatoes

I remember an article about planting potatoes in an upright position which allowed you to remove the bands and harvest without digging, but cannot find the article. Can someone help me?

By Marie

Best Answer

I remember reading that you plant the seed potato at "ground level", then, once the foliage is around a foot high, you add a ring (wood, old tire, etc.) and dirt to fill the ring, leaving half the plant exposed. Each time the foliage gets fairly high, you add another ring and more soil, leaving healthy foliage exposed. You continue all season, and at harvest time, you just start removing rings, and (supposedly) the tower will be full of potatoes.

Best Answer

My mom plants the seed potato about 4" in the ground, and then as the plant grows she keeps adding straw. The potatoes form in the straw.

I found this article using old tires for several gardening plants. It gives instruction for several uses including planting potatoes.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/sanders98.html

There was an article on this website last week about how tires contain chemicals that would be poisonous to any plants you would eat.

Growing Potatoes
Growing Potatoes
Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodMarch 24, 2009
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
hand holding a potato
Harvesting Potatoes
potato plants growing in old white ice chest
Growing Potatoes in Containers
🎄