Tomato Jam

When I was a little child, I had tomato jam, spread on bread (I think). I have looked for it many times, and haven't ever been able to get it. I would like to find the recipe.

Thanks so much!

By Lucy W

Lucy, if you Goggle "tomato jam" you'll find several places to pick from.

Thank you.

Here is a Yellow Tomato Jam post with some recipes in the feedback. It seems like it would work for any tomatoes.

And I pulled out my trusty Joy Of Cooking and I found this recipe. I haven't tried it but maybe I will, if my tomatoes ever start growing. We are having a late growing season this year.

Tomato Preserves

Scald and skin 1 lb. tomatoes. Yellow tomatoes may be used with especially fine results. Cover tomatoes with an equal amount of sugar. Let stand 12 hours. Drain the juice. Boil it until the syrup falls from a spoon in heavy drops. Add the tomatoes and the grated rind and juice of 1 lemon or 2 thinly sliced seeded lemons, 2 oz. preserved ginger or 1-4 inch stick cinnamon. Cook the mixture until thick.

This is intended to be canned in a water bath. I thought it was interesting that they recommended yellow tomatoes too :)

Let us know what you try and how it turns out.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, as this is a recipe you make with green tomatoes, but I know I've made this several times & it's awesome. I've served it to many people over the yrs. and no one can tell the "secret" ingredient & they all love it. It's also really easy. :) Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Add 4 cups sugar to 5 cups ground up green tomatoes. Bring to a rolling boil & cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat & add 1 large pkg. gelatin (rasp., cherry, strawberry, etc.). Seal in glasses or jars, or freeze. Yes, you can even freeze this.

August 10, 2011 Flag

• 1 lb. (3 cups) plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 lb. (1 3/4 cup) red or yellow cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  • Ad
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

In a saucepan, combine tomatoes, sugar, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat. Cook uncovered 35 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cool. Serve or store in refrigerator up to three days.

* Please note this recipes has not been tried.

Servings: not mentioned
Prep Time: not mentioned
Cooking Time: 35 Minutes

Source: I spotted this recipe (July issue) in a magazine by the name of Alabama Living. This is their website, Hope it works for the person that requested it.

By missysmom from Nokomis, AL

Tomato Jam Recipe
Food and Recipes Recipes Condiments Jam & JellyJuly 31, 2011
A slice of toast with grape jelly on it.
Grape Jam Recipes
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes
Tomato Jam
Tomato Jam Recipes