Collecting on a Debt in Australia

Stupidly, I trusted my ex-fiance and lent him over $8,000 to help lower his debts. He dumped me after receiving the money (no explanation given, of course) and has since relocated to South Australia to avoid paying me back.

It went through the small debts court and I have a judgement against him, but he has no assets that were deemed seizable by the idiot sheriff down there. Does anyone know how I can get a claim on his wages? I don't want to keep wasting money trying to get his debt repaid.

Cathy from Queensland, Australia

Dear Cathy, How wretched! Here in the States we would get an attorney to handle it, but I think we can also go to the courthouse and get a form to fill out. Personally, I think it's worth an attorney, even though you wind up paying a third or so for his/her fee. And I would never lend anyone a dime again, although if the need were real, I would GIVE it to them. Good luck!

I don't know either how things work in Australia. But I wouldn't give up no matter what it costs. Just on principle. Too many men do things like that. Hire a lawyer (attorney, barrister?). Or, do you have Private Detectives there? Yes, I have been a victim also. And I was too upset to do anything until it was too late. So don't let the same thing hapen to you. Good luck.

WOW! What a bummer! You are not the first to have this happen, I think a lot of us have trusted someone, only to bet burned. The court where you won your judgement should have the information on how to start a garnishment on the "loser". If you do not find any help there, it probably would be a good idea to hire an attorney. What ever you do, best of luck!

What you need is a Hit Man...(just kidding)

Hi, thank you so much for your support! It;'s awful to go through this, but I've learned my lesson! I will never lend money again, even if I am engaged!

Couple worries About their Personal Debt
Collecting on a Personal Debt
Business and Legal Legal Small ClaimsSeptember 20, 2006
Getting Out of Debt, Picture of a woman cutting a credit card.
Getting Out of Debt
Freebies wrapped as gifts.
Collecting Freebies for Gifts
Debt Consolidation Tips
Debt Consolidation Tips
Collecting Rent Money
Collecting Rent from Former Tenant
🎄