Add to PageAsk a Question

Collecting on a Personal Debt

Category Advice
When someone owes you money it can be very hard to collect even with legal action. This page is about collecting on a personal debt.


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

By 0 found this helpful
September 20, 2006

Stupidly, I trusted my ex-fiance and lent him over $8,000 to help lower his debts. He dumped me after receiving the money (no explanation given, of course) and has since relocated to South Australia to avoid paying me back.

It went through the small debts court and I have a judgement against him, but he has no assets that were deemed seizable by the idiot sheriff down there. Does anyone know how I can get a claim on his wages? I don't want to keep wasting money trying to get his debt repaid.

Cathy from Queensland, Australia


September 21, 20060 found this helpful

Dear Cathy, How wretched! Here in the States we would get an attorney to handle it, but I think we can also go to the courthouse and get a form to fill out. Personally, I think it's worth an attorney, even though you wind up paying a third or so for his/her fee. And I would never lend anyone a dime again, although if the need were real, I would GIVE it to them. Good luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 23, 20060 found this helpful

I don't know either how things work in Australia. But I wouldn't give up no matter what it costs. Just on principle. Too many men do things like that.


Hire a lawyer (attorney, barrister?). Or, do you have Private Detectives there? Yes, I have been a victim also. And I was too upset to do anything until it was too late. So don't let the same thing hapen to you. Good luck.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By Lee (Guest Post)
September 23, 20060 found this helpful

WOW! What a bummer! You are not the first to have this happen, I think a lot of us have trusted someone, only to bet burned. The court where you won your judgement should have the information on how to start a garnishment on the "loser". If you do not find any help there, it probably would be a good idea to hire an attorney. What ever you do, best of luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By Claudia- MD (Guest Post)
September 25, 20060 found this helpful

What you need is a Hit Man...(just kidding)

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Read More Answers
Budget & Finance AdviceJanuary 29, 2014
Pest Control
Back to School Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/08/20 20:42:08 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!