Getting Out of Debt

Consumer debt is at all time highs and the interest on carrying large amounts of debt is very expensive. Carrying less debt is something that every household should strive for. This guide is a guide about getting out of debt.

Friends and family have called me a tightwad or a cheapskate. I prefer to be called "frugal"! About 12 years ago, my husband and I came to the bright conclusion that we had too much debt (after only 3 years of marriage!) We also realized, given our current debt to income ratio, we would NEVER be out of debt. So, we got a consolidation loan to cure our problem. Our cure didn't work because, as a lot of people do, we continued to accrue debt. It was growing quickly! Our second problem was that I desperately wanted to quit work and stay at home with our baby daughter. My Frugal Life

By this point we were coming to the realization that we needed to do some things drastically different! So, we cut up all of our credit cards and tried to pay down our debts as much as we could (we started using Mary Hunt's Rapid Debt Repayment Plan). I was learning that paying down debt is like dieting: It's great to lose weight but if you don't CONTINUE your new healthy eating and exercising, the weight will come right back on (and usually twice as much!) It was at this time that I realized getting out of debt and STAYING debt free was more than a budget on paper but it was a heart issue; learning about contentment, thankfulness and frugality.

We were able to get completely debt free in about 3 years (with only my husband's income). We lived on A LOT less and learned to love it! During those 3 years, I read all of Mary Hunt's books, "The Tightwad Gazette" by Amy Dacyczyn, and "Living On Less and Liking It More" by Maxine Hancock. When someone has had a negative behavior, they can't just stop it and continue living like they had before. It helps to have something new, a new positive habit to replace the bad. That, my friends, is exactly what becoming frugal did for me!

At first, it was a game (How much money can I save with coupons this week). However, it quickly became a lifestyle. Since we have become debt free, we have built our own home in the country with acreage. We raise pigs, our own chickens, and we have our own orchard and garden. I've always loved to garden but recently I read "Growing Your Own Groceries" by Kimberley Eddy. This book was very encouraging and informative on how to grow and can enough food for your family for a year. We have 4 children, so saving on groceries is a constant challenge for me. Leaving the grocery store, knowing I've only spent $75, gives me a greater high than I ever received from charging stuff at the mall!

One major tip I have about being frugal is: Give away a portion of all that you make. When you give, it always comes back as a blessing! Don't confuse being frugal with being stingy or selfish. Instead, being frugal frees up money so you can give more away. Once you become a frugal minded person, there is no turning back. I know some people may roll their eyes, thinking one can go too far in being a tightwad. I agree with Maxine Hancock in "Living on Less and Liking it More", she says: "We sit in our living rooms and look into the unseeing eye of our TV sets and see not just individuals but entire cities and nations going bankrupt. And at the same time, we look into the empty eyes of swollen-bellied children of famine who are somehow, impossibly, still alive. And we know that somewhere, in some way, we are all personally responsible."

But just sitting around with vague guilt feelings haunting us is hardly a sufficient response. We need to seriously reevaluate our whole set of life goals and to ask ourselves, "Where are we now? And where are we going?" We must put to ourselves the question worded by World Vision director, W. Stanley Mooneyham, "Is my life style supporting a famine somewhere in the world today? If we are, indeed, people not content to sit back and wait in helplessness for the breakers of present and future shock to overwhelm us, we need to become actively involved in adjusting our goals, expanding our ethic, and moderating our life-style to meet the needs of this changing age."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn spent 7 years at a Soviet prison camp; the world would be a better place if we would follow his advice. He says, "What about the main thing in life, all its riddles? If you want I'll spell it out for you right now. Do not pursue what is illusory- property and position: all that is gained at the expense of your nerves, decade after decade, and is confiscated in one fell night. Live with a steady superiority over life - don't be afraid of misfortune and do not yearn after happiness. Our envy of others devours us most of all. Rub your eyes and purify your heart - and prize above all else in the world those who love you and wish you well."

I love my frugal life!

By Christy Brashers

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Plan

I ran across a little plan to get out of debt that really works if you just stick to it. Here it is:
  1. Begin with your debt that has the highest rate of interest. Now pay the minumum payment plus 5%-10% of your monthly income, whatever you can commit to on a regular basis. Continue to pay the minimum payment on all other bills for now.

2. When the first bill is paid off (WOOHOO!) take the amount of the 1st bill's min. pay.+ the 5%-10% that you had been putting onto the 1st bill and add that to the min. pay. for the second bill. Pay this every month until the second bill is paid in full. Continue to pay the min. pay on your other bills.

3. Now that you have the second bill paid off, take the min. pay. from the 1st bill, the min. pay. from the second bill, and the 5%-10%, and add this to the min. pay. for the 3rd bill. Now you are making a nice payment to this bill and it is being paid off more quickly than usual. Of course, continue to pay the minimum payment on your other bills. Keep up the good work!

4. By the time you get to the 4th bill you are making what will seem like lump sums to paying off this bill. The trick is to keep the money that you were putting on bills going to paying off bills instead of incurring more bills with the extra money each month.

As with anything, this takes time, and as a result, takes patience.

I would also add that you must begin to live more frugally, learn to tell a want from a need, and enjoy the contentment that can come from being in control of your finances instead of them controlling you.

Fab4mom

First Step: Get Rid of Credit Cards

This is not something that is easily or quickly done. The first thing you need to do is get rid of any credit cards. Make as much as you can for payments on any loans or credit card bills you currently have. Before you ever borrow money for something make sure that it really needs to happen.

I am 31 years old and own my home (owe nothing), I drive an older car that I saved money for and paid cash. I only have to pay monthly living expense bills. Due to this when I lost my job the beginning of this year we were able to survive on my husbands income.

Our rule of thumb is if we can't pay for it now we don't have to have it. If we really want it then we save for it. My husband just built a garage this summer that we paid for with money that he has saved for the past 5 years. It would have been nice to have the garage 5 years ago but we survived with out it.

By DPCW

Start Paying off Highest Intrest Debts First

1. Dont make any new debts.

2. Pay off your debts starting with the one charging the highest interest. Make minimum payments on the others.

3. When you get the one charging the highest interest paid off, start on the one with the 2nd highest interest and pay that one off, and so on. Do this until all debts are paid including your car and your house. Do not acquire any more debts until all your current debts are paid off.
Make a distinction between "wants" and "needs."

By Carol

Cut Out the Extras

Sit down and really look at your bills. Is there anything you can cut? For example: Keep the basic phone service but get rid of call forwarding, call screening, and anything else you are paying extra for. Keep the basic cable but get rid of the "premium" channels. Do you subscribe to lots of magazines? I was shocked and appalled to realize how much money I spent on subscriptions. $10 here and $10 there adds up and I hardly had time to read them anyway! I contacted all my magazines and asked them to stop service immediately due to "financial difficulties" and refund the unused portion of what I had pre-paid. I wound up getting about $30 back!

The secret is, whatever money you get back, you add to any other "found money" (like the amount you have saved by reducing other services) and you apply this money to your debt. Another huge difference for me was sending an additional payment as soon as I received "found money" instead of waiting to send it when the bill was due. Your credit card company or other people you owe money to will be happy to accept a payment at mid-billing-cycle, call and get instructions, and be sure to put your account number on the check. That way, you won't be tempted to spend the money on anything less important than getting out of debt. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

By Becki in Indiana

Monitor Your Spending Habits

First, spend 2 weeks-a month writing down every penny spent. Even the quarters you drop in the charity bin. You'll be surprised how much the little things add up.

Then use your red pen to mark the unnecessary expenditures. Entertainment and convenience foods are big ones. These expenditures can be cut, and the money used towards paying off debt.

Figure out what you owe, and how much "extra" in fees you are paying everyone. Pay off the highest interest/lowest bills first. Hospital and college loans usually can wait the longest, don't put those on credit if you can make a deal. Pay minimum payments on all but one bill and put *everything you can* into that one bill. Once its paid off, do the same with the next card. If you have Discover or another card with good rewards, use it for groceries, pay it off completely each month, and use the rewards to pay extra bills or to buy essentials.

The important thing is to cut your spending so you can pay off bills ASAP.

For every day I don't buy a scratch-off lottery ticket, I put the $2 I would have spent on it, and put it into an envelope and as it builds up I take it and apply it to a debt.

Shaunta Alburger0 found this helpful

Shaunta Alburger has agreed to write articles for ThriftyFun. This is Part 1 of a 4 part series she has written about her plan to go on a Debt Crash Diet in 2006.

Shaunta Alburger0 found this helpful

In the book Your Money or Your Life, author Joe Dominguez makes the point that money is really an exchange for your life force. Every dime spent, represents the time and energy you spent earning it.

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh0 found this helpful

The average American credit card debt is over $5,100. While it may not seem like it, this balance is manageable. Within three yeas it can easily be paid off provided that new charges are not added to the debt.

Close up of Credit Card

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Making only the minimum payment on your debt not only lengthens the time it will take to pay off but it also ensures that you pay more interest. Why give them more of you money than necessary.

Ideas and tips to help you stay motivated and inspired to pay off debt. Post your ideas.

Shaunta Alburger0 found this helpful

Pre-teens are notorious drama queens. (The girls and the boys equally!) There is no easy way to tell them things are going to change drastically. Giving them a couple of months heads up helps.

Shaunta Alburger0 found this helpful

In order to meet our goal of paying off nearly $20,000 in debt and saving $12,000 in 2006, it was clear that we would have to earn more money.

I just found a great financial resource. We all have issues around money, and a place to take those issues is Debtors Anonymous (or DA for short).

As a former Credit Analyst and Credit Counseler, I have to say this debt calculator is the best! You can see how long it will take you to pay off your debt if you only pay your minimum payments.

Link: http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/debtplanner/debtplanner.jsphttp://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/debtplanner/debtplanner.jsp

We have over $22,000.00 in credit card debt, 2 car payments and can't get rid of them for we owe more than they are worth, a house payment and heloc loan we got when we purchased our home for the down payment, medical bills, and the utility bills.

We have an 18 y/o senior without a car but she works a part time job which is not enough to save for a car, she has a 3.86 grade point average but has not qualified for a college scholarship which she needs desperately.

Bottom line is that we have way more bills than income and are sinking fast. I am married and mother of two. I hardly know them anymore for I work all I can.

The bills are all paid on time so far but I know without a miracle, we will sink . Does anyone out there have an answer that will give us some hope? Your help is much appreciated.

My husband is out of work on medical leave in which doctor will not release him to work at this time. He still has insurance from his job but has used up his disabilty money which has left him with no income but his company is still providing the medical insurance.

I am a nurse and work hard. We are not lazy people but I know we have made bad choices. Thank you in advance for some good advice and your prayers most of all.

ablssdmm

Answers

Have you checked with any local foodbanks or an organization in your area that can provide some relief for you on your grocery bills? Also, check with the same organization for heating assistance or any other type of help they can offer.

If you aren't already using a budget to get the maximum out of your financial resources, I would strongly recommend putting one into play. It will help immeasurably to see where the money is going and how you can use it to better advantage.

Call your local Extension office and see if they have any helpful booklets on budgeting, low cost meals, etc.

Surf the internet for all kinds of helpful advice on budgeting, consolidating debt, accerelated strategic debt reduction plans according to your debt load and based upon your current income.

Spend lots of time going through back issues of every thrify internet site there is because you will find a wealth of hints and tips for keeping more of your money in your pocketbook to be applied to those debts.

I wish you good luck! While getting out from under this kind of debt can be a challenge and at times will seem disheartening, it can be done!

Approach all the foodbanks and also goodwills in your area, go through your whole house and garage and sort out anything that may be sold in a yard sale. Approach all of the agencies and people you owe money to and explain your situation to them fully and honestly. They will see that you are a woman of integrity and honor and in all likelihood will be open to an arrangement for payment that will be easier on your family. Seek budgeting advice from an agency that offers this service for free. Many church s do this.Never miss an opportunity to gather free food for your pantry or freezer. Become a hunter gatherer. Also, make do and mend as our grandmothers used to say. Keep your family together, and continue with your faith. You are in our prayers. All the very best for the future. Please let us know how you get on.

Ang

Have you checked out Consumer Credit Counseling?(or some similar non-profit organizations?)

My sister was in a similar situation and she contacted CCC and they helped her reduce her monthly expenses (on Credit Cards) by almost $400.00 month. This action saved her from filing Bankruptcy..which she did NOT want to do.

Good Luck

Been there......not as deep in debt, but had the dh on disability.......immediately go online and apply for Social Security.......they may help till he is back to work.........it is a hassle, but worth it......apply for foodstamps, etc......call all utilities as they sometimes will lower your bill for the time, if you have AOL, call them and tell them your situation, they usually give a few free months-if not cancel and go on 'free' internet, apply for free lunch at school- ask if they have any help available re graduation expenses, etc...contact all creditors as was said before and explain the situation.....drive only one car and try and take the insurance to minimum for the other car.....ASK relatives to help.......if all else fails, figure out what is important and pay all of that first........use libraries for entertainment....videos, CD's.......enjoy your family.......this will pass and you will probably learn what not to do next time.....and think how strong you will be then......good luck and keep intouch with the group.""

Anonymous

The hardest thing to do is to take one day at a time and get through that day. Turn it all over to God and He will get you through each day. That is how I get along. You ask Him for help and He helps. I will pray each day for you.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

We too have been ear deep in debt and are still somewhat clawing our way out of it. We have four kids who range in age from 9 to 24. It's scary not knowing how you'll make ends meet.

Fortunately we were introduced to the Dave Ramsey website ( http://www.daveramsey.com ) and learned how to prioritize and budget our money. He has several books out and I'm sure some of them are available from the library.

Two of the best tips we got from him are: 1) name every dollar before you spend it; and 2) protect the "four walls of your house"

Name every dollar refers to his zero based budget idea. The idea is that you sit down with a piece of paper and list each check. From each check you deduct each expense you have before the month even starts. That way you know where your money is going. You direct your money rather than trying to chase it down and see where it went after the fact.

Also, as you pay your expenses, you pay them in a certain order which protects the "four walls" of your house. What are the four walls? The four walls are what every family needs in order to survive: food, shelter (rent, utilities, etc), transportation (gotta get to work), and
(reasonable) clothing. Credit cards and other revolving debt gets budgeted last.

He also has a three hour radio show he does M-F. If you don't have a local station that carries it, the broadcast is also available off his website for free.

I wish you and your family the best. God bless.

Kathryn

You should read "The Complete Tightwad Gazette" by Amy Daczycin from cover to cover. It has excellent tips and it's very well written and not at all boring. I was able to save an incredible amount of money when my husband was laid off for two years. Another thing to think about is how you can reduce your expenses each month instead of how to make more money to pay off bills. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to get rid of things like cable, internet access for a fee, cell phones, voicemail, video rentals (use the library), magazine subscriptions, daily latte, prepared foods, expensive snacks, eating out...etc. The number one way to quickly reduce your "output" monthly is FOOD. A lot of people spend way too much on food each month and by tackling that first you'll save a lot. It all adds up. Good luck.

Go to www.benefits.gov and answer some questions and it will do a search and give you a list of "aid" that you qualify for. It's all free.

Thank you all so much for your feed back. It lifts my spirits to know you took the time to give advice. I will get the tightwad gazette from the library and go to daveramsey.com. I already have a trial version of aol for a couple of months. Cell phones and direct tv are under contract. Any suggestions on how to get out of cell phone and satelite tv contracts? I really need to learn how to make nutritious meals on as little money a week as possible. My goal is 50 a week for our family of 4. I drive 72 miles one way to work and that makes gas at $30.00 every two days. I earn too much for food stamps as suggested in one of the feedbacks. If we didn't have so many bills my income would be great! I know it is all our fault but damage is done and I must deal with it. Thank you all again for taking time to help with your advice. I will keep looking for your post and will follow your advice and encouragement.
God Bless
Ablssdmm

I feel for you honey. A lot of wireless companies
will tell you what their cancellation fee is if you call
them and ask. Even if it is $125.00 it is still better
than paying $40.00 a month for another full year
of however long you contract is for. If its only for
a month or two then hang on and then cancel without
the fees.

I have lived many years below the poverty line. I choose to make a living as a craftsperson and that means little money.

I buy all food on sale. Really. If you do, you will find that every meat goes on sale regularly, every fruit, etc. I know the best prices for most of the things I buy and do without until they are at that price.

I buy all clothes at a second hand store that has half price on certain color tags (rotating colors). Sometimes they are cheaper, on major sale, at department stores. I only buy what I need.

Before spending money I ask myself how passionately I want that thing...do I want it more than any other thing the world has to offer? Usually not.

Money is power and control, but only if you have it. Once you spend it it is dead, lost and gone forever. Make a game of saving, not spending. See yourself as a winner when you get what you want without spending.

I go to Europe every year, even in years when I made less than $10,000 because I am passionate about that and more than happy to eat eggs for dinner, drink water, and forego most restaurant meals.

You will be healthier, thinner, have more fun and feel more powerful when you learn that your happiness doesn't come from spending, and even moreso when you have enough to give some away.

Good luck. I'm pulling for you!

Your daughter and/or you should contact her guidance counselor and explain the change in financial circumstances and ask for their assistance regarding college education costs. Also go online and check out www.fastweb.com -- this is a website that lists hundreds of scholarships, some of them extremely obscure -- she should apply for as many as she remotely thinks she may qualify for.

You do not mention details about your husband's disability -- is he flat on his back in bed? Or is he able to do some things, but not 100% cleared to return to work? He should explain the financial situation to his doctor -- maybe he can be cleared to return part time, or to return to "light duty" to accomodate his temporary disability. Can hubby oversee a yard sale while you are at work? Can he clip coupons from the newspaper and match them to on-sale items in the grocery flyers, so that the shopping list is ready to go when you get home from work? Can he list items for sale on ebay or half.com?

Back when you had disposable income, you may have signed up for "extras" such as credit disability -- the sales pitch is that this coverage pays your credit card bills when a breadwinner is out of work due to a disability. Call your credit card companies and see if you have this coverage, and if so, how to activate it.

I didn't know until I went into "extreme broke mode" due to similar circumstances, that you can cancel magazine & newspaper subscriptions mid-stream, and request a refund of the unused portion of your subscription price. For me, that produced a little bit of "found money" to apply to grocery costs.

I have been there, and have survived. You will, too! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Hi Becki,
My husband is not flat of his back and is able to work and begged the doctor to release but the doc refuses to clear him. His job will not let him come back on light duty. He calls every week trying to get light duty but they refuse. We don't get a newspaper or magazines. I get coupons from old papers at work, shop the dent can store, and buy only sale items. I think I will call the satelite tv company and cell phone company to see if our circumstances will allow us to cancel but I doubt they will. I will go to fastweb to look for scholarships and have my daughter to help. Her school cancelor is new and should of let us know to apply for scholarships in my daughters junior year but she did not and that has a lot to do with the struggles of getting a scholarship this year but I will be sure to get a head start on next year and I will know what to do when my son gets in high school. I would put my husband to clipping coupons if I we had coupons to clip:-) I could find something to put on ebay and have him oversee it and see how that works. I let him gather stuff for a yard sale also. Thank you so much for your advice and taking the time to comment. Just a reminder that we are not lazy, I work two jobs , my daughter works a part-time job and goes to high school, my 12 y/o son tries not to ask for things.
Thanks again

I have been exactly where you are and it was just over a year ago. I called my credit card companies and told them that if they didn't lower my interest rate and forgo all fees that I owed that I might have to file bankruptcy. One company lowered the rate to 5%, another to 2% and another to 0% all for a year. I also talked to my lease company and got them to put my lease payments on hold for three months. The only one that wouldn't work with me was they mortgage company. Most places will try to work out what they can, especially if it is their best interest to do so. Good Luck. It took me a year, but I am now $5000 less in credit card debt and a lot happier.

I know you are not lazy -- the fact that you are turning to others for help shows that you are trying to get control of your situation! If you have never sold on the internet before, I would suggest checking out www.half.com -- it's a division of e-bay, but instead of listing an item and taking bids, you set your own price. I have sold books on half.com for a couple of years now and made close to $1000 total, for very little work.

Why is the doctor refusing to release hubby to work? Is the doctor aware of the financial situation? He may think he's doing your hubby a favor by giving him "extra" time off -- if your husband makes it clear how this is hurting the family and the doc still won't clear him, maybe it's out of legitimate concern for his health. I would make sure the lines of communication are open bwteen them.

I will certainly keep you in my prayers!

Hi Becki,
I will try the half.com thing for I have plenty of old nursing books. The doctor will not let hub go back to work because he has nerve damage in his hand and cannot move his thumb at all. He is waiting on healing from the last surgery so he can do some nerve transplantion. If he uses that hand to much he could loose movement to his other digits. It sounds like nothing, Just a hand, but it sure has turned into a big something! Yes, my husband tells his doctor at every visit what a hardship this is causinghis family.
Thank you so much for your help:-)

I hope someone can help me with my problem. I am deep into debt and I would like to know if someone could guide me with a very basic easy way to get myself out of this ordeal. I have tried everything that i could and still I fall back. I am going to start this week when i get paid to get this monkey off my back. Could suggest a very simple and basic budget or using the envelope method what ever it takes. I don't want any thing that is to complicated right now.

I am looking at about seven thousand in total debt that includes miscellaneous items and credit card debt. I also owe the IRS. What should i do first? I get paid bi-weekly total of 679.86 monthly. Also, I have a second job in retail so that check is not always the same, It goes by the hours I work. Help me please someone.

Malmal from Boston

My income is cut in half. My credit card bills are overdue. They are calling all the time and I don't have extra money to pay them. How do I start climbing out of this hole that I am in? I can't get a second job; I have tried! I can't even sell the family heirlooms. I am scared and worried! Any advice?

By Lynette from Ann Arbor

Can anyone tell me if this is still true? If you owed someone money and they never collect on the debt for the 1st seven years then the debt is null and void (like you had filed bankruptcy against it,) and they can no longer collect money from you?

By Teresa W.

Do I really need a credit card? I am a divorced mother of two and wanted to get rid of some debt. Does it make sense for me to have a credit card? I'm wanting to close my credit card and just put money into a savings account.

By Cheryl

I cannot keep paying this credit card at 39%, what can I do?

By yoyojoe from Las Vegas, NV

Would it be better to get my credit repaired by going down the list to pay off collections, charge offs, and other delinquent debts when I get my taxes, or shall I seek a credit counseling service, or a debt consolidating company, or should I wait til these reduced percentage choice offers come through the mail box? Please help me because I am truly suffering, I cannot get a loan. I am constantly rejected.

By Crissie from Los Angeles

How to become a debt free?

By Roager F

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

Consumer debt is through the roof right now. Americans have more credit card debt than ever and are having a hard time paying it off. With lowering home values and skyrocketing foreclosure rates, many people are struggling to keep their homes and maintain a good credit record. More and more, we have become a culture of debt.

What are you tips for paying off credit card debt? Please post them below.

Answers:

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

I learned from a class that I took called "Financial Peace," written by Dave Ramsey. His website is www.daveramsey.com We learned how to do the payoff each by the "snowball." (02/26/2008)

By okstamper

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

Quite simply, don't carry your credit card in your wallet. That way you won't be tempted to buy something you really can not afford.

Also, when you do use your credit card, if it's not a purchase you can pay off in one billing cycle. Set up a personal plan to pay it off as soon as possible. Budget, budget and budget. (02/26/2008)

By Tigger1971

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

I use this payment method with my clients:

Write down the balance you owe on each credit card, next to that write down the minimum payment the credit card company wants you to pay each month. Then divide the balance by the minimum payment and write this next to the minimum payment. Pay off the lower number first with whatever you can afford AND continue making the minimum payment(s) on the other credit cards. When the 1st card is paid off move to the next card and pay the minimum amount PLUS the payment you've made on the 1st card. Do this on all the credit cards until they are paid off. AND DO NOT charge anything unless it's truly an emergency. (02/26/2008)

By Steve

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

Don't run up credit card debt in the first place. It takes self-control to resist temptation in stores - marketers have spent their entire careers thinking up ways to make you "need" something that you really don't. An eye-opener for me was taking an elective class in marketing when in college. The ways the marketers add what they call "value" in the customer's eyes are infinite.

Look at the way cosmetics and jewelry items are displayed in a department store. They are very carefully lighted, and placed in display cases that you have to walk completely around to get to the other side of the store. Or analyze the marketing that goes into something as mundane as a vacuum cleaner or tube of toothpaste. Really LOOK at the ad - what is the message behind it? That if you buy this product you will be a better person? That your spouse will love you more if you buy this or that thing? How can a vacuum cleaner or toothpaste do that?

The background music in stores is selected for the customers they are trying to reach. Now they're experimenting with smells too. Or even the tool sections at Sears, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. - look at the lighting and bright colors, all designed to make you want this or that product. EVERYTHING in that store is designed and intended to separate you from your money. If you walk into a store knowing that, you are forearmed. (02/26/2008)

By Walt816

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

If you have trouble balancing out the month, set aside cash equal to your credit purchase, and keep that up each day. At month's end, write the check, which your cash covers, and owe nothing. Why bother with credit cards, then? Why indeed. Well, you may like not having to carry the cash, though stores raising their prices 2-3% to compensate for card users seems a bit...unthrifty, nor much fun. (02/26/2008)

By peseta

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

We had accumulated some credit card debt from school and major car repairs, and it seemed like even though we paid much more than the minimum on our card every month, we weren't making a dent in the balance.

So, we transferred all our debt to our other card that offered us 0% interest for 6 months. Beware of these, they do charge fees to transfer, but sometimes the fee is a savings over the many months of interest charges. We used a card we have had for many years and it has worked for us to do this.

Then, we locked our credit cards in our safe so they wouldn't be a temptation in our wallets. We haven't used them since. This is key! Don't charge ANYTHING else or you'll never get out of the debt hole.

I also found a part-time online job and ALL of the money I make from that is going to the debt. We made a schedule of how much we are paying off each month, and it shows how long it will take to get down to zero $. Seeing that schedule keeps us motivated! We want to see that $0 balance!

With all of those things combined, we are making a HUGE dent in the debt! It feels great! (02/26/2008)

By CiCi

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

Avoid buying anything that you can live without, and use only cash. Pay off credit cards with highest interest rate first. (02/26/2008)

By Lucille

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

This site is great; http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/debtplanner/debtplanner.jsp (02/26/2008)

By paula

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

I learned a long time ago to just stay away from stores. I keep a shopping list at home, and I don't go to a store until it is filled or until I have a real emergency for something. Otherwise, I make do. I don't look through any catalogs that I get in the mail and I don't watch infomercials on TV. When I go to the store, I charge my purchases to get points on my credit card (money back) and I subtract that amount from my checkbook, so when the bill comes, I have the money to pay it in full each month.

I also save all my change and deposit it into a bank account so I have an emergency fund for those unforeseeable circumstances, and so we're not tempted to charge more. We also do odd jobs for some elderly neighbors (mow lawns, rake leaves, take their trash out, make minor home repairs, etc) and stash all that money in our emergency fund. A few dollars here and there add up fast. These simple measures have really helped keep us out of debt. (02/27/2008)

By susanmajp

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

First of all, I use only cards that offer rewards. As soon as I make a purchase, I also make a payment, usually the full amount of what I have just bought. This way, the cards are making money for me, not the credit card company. If it is a store card, you can usually pay at the checkout at the same time, - other cards, I use online pay method. If it is a large purchase, I pay as much and as often as I can to avoid interest. (02/27/2008)

By ERP

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

We paid off our credit card debt by taking out A Line of Credit on our house. The interest rate is lower. We never use credit cards now. And we are able to save on the side for our retirement, or emergencies. This is in Canada, I'm not sure what is available in the States. (02/27/2008)

By Pennypacer

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

I agree with the Financial Peace University class taught by Dave Ramsey. You can also listen to him on the radio for free. Go to his website and look up a station near you.

My husband and I just started his teachings and so far we have paid off 3 credit cards and are working on one more loan. It is a new way of thinking for my husband but it is working. Not only does Dave teach you how to pay off debt, but how to stay debt free and learn to save and invest. I highly recommend it. (02/27/2008)

By Guest from Michigan

Dealing With Credit Card Debt

I know this will sound mean, but try, try, TRY not to get any credit cards in the first place. Save your money up to buy what you want (by then you will know if you really want it). It is very hard these days to keep and budget money, but credit cards end up costing you twice or three times as much as the item you bought in the end. Plus, the way the contracts on credit cards are written now, they will always find something else to charge you for. Is a credit rating really worth all the money and frustration? Sometimes it is better to have no credit rating at all than a bad one. (03/02/2008)

By laramay

I have a major problem. When I was in my late teens I moved out on my own and got approved for two credit cards. Of course not thinking ahead I maxed them both out and beyond that point. It is now several years later and my 23% interest rate credit cards still exist with a combined total of about $6,000.00.

I haven't used them in about two years now. I have a very strict budget and only can afford to pay about $10.00 over the minimum payment due. But with the interest rate being so high it doesn't seem to make a difference what I pay on them I can never get ahead.

I really want to pay this dept off! I want to buy a house so badly, but with my credit being so bad I feel like that is never going to happen. I have tried calling my credit card companies to lower the interest rate but they are not very helpful. What can I do? I need advice so badly, please help. Thank you.

Robin

Answers:

Help Dealing With High Interest Credit Card Debt

Robin,
Congratulations on stopping your use of the credit cards! That is the first step in getting out of debt. If I were you, I would look for a new credit card that will accept balance transfers at a reduced rate. Credit card companies offer this all the time. Just make sure that the reduced rate is for the life of the transferred balance, not just an introductory period of a few months. I just got an offer from my credit union to transfer balances for 8% for the life of the balance. If you have made regular payments on your credit cards, then your credit should still be good.

A good starting point would be your bank or credit union. You could also ask your friends and family to keep their eyes & ears open for you for any similar offers they receive and then you could call the company and apply.
Good Luck! If you stick with your budget, I know you'll have success. (02/19/2005)

By Debbie

Either, 1. Get one very low interest card to transfer the two accounts onto, and pay onto the one what you are currently paying the two, pay it off completely. OR, 2. Pay 15 over minimum on the lowest balance until paid off (5 over minimum on the higher balance), then put that total (paid off card payment + regular payment on higher card) towards the balance left on the remaining card. It might take a couple of years, but you will save your credit.
(02/19/2005)

By connie

There are many credit card companies that give an introductory period of three to six months without interest. I suggest that you switch the entire balance often to one of these companies, and keep paying anything you can afford. (02/20/2005)

By Karen.

How about contacting a debt-relief program? We were in a similar situation (to the tune of $8000). I called Consumer Credit Counseling Service. They were really friendly and helpful. They contacted the credit card companies and got most of them to reduce the interest. We paid $40 a week until it was paid off. It took 5 years but it was worth it. Five months after paying off credit cards, we qualified for a Rural Development loan and now live in our own home. I don't know if this company is available in your area, but there may be similar ones. Good luck and hang in there, it will get better. (02/21/2005)

By Michelle

Hi Robin,

Please call Genus Credit Management at 800-955-0412. Genus Credit Management is a not-for-profit credit counseling agency, offers free debt management and educational programs that help financially distressed families and individuals effectively manage their finances. Our clients are asked to make a contribution to AFS-Genus if they can afford to do so. All contributions are voluntary.

Website: http://www.genus.org/

If any company indicates a handling fee - DO NOT USE THEM. Genus Credit Management has been around for 20+ years - longer than 95% of the companies out there that say they can help you reduce your debt.

Trust me - I've been in banking for over 25 years, and I refer clients to this organization! Cindy (02/22/2005)

By ChildlikeGrownup

For sure transfer the balances to another credit card with lower interest. You've probably been bombarded with credit card offers from other companies like my teenage son was once he started using his credit cards. He also went over the limit on his, and is in the same situation. I transferred his balance to another lower interest card, cut up the cards and he paid his off in 6 months. (03/06/2005)

By lilithjune

The key is, even if you only pay the minimum (or $10-$15 over), do not decrease that amount as the balance goes down! Credit card companies WANT you to only pay the minimum, that's why they make it so low and decrease it as the balance decreases. Keeping your payments level (even at the minimum payment when you first start on the program), you'll pay them off much faster.

Go to www.cheapskatemonthly.com or bankrate.com and use their calculators. Good luck. (05/29/2006)

By miarocks

Does anyone know if I can call the credit card company and ask them to apply my monthly payment to the higher interest rate on my card? I have a promotional rate and a high regular rate. I would like to pay the higher one off first but they always apply it to the lower rate first. (12/06/2006)

By andy

Andy, you should try to call your company and ask them. If they won't do it, then find a new company. I recently changed companies and went with Capital One and have been very happy with them (so far). (12/06/2006)

By Persnickety Paula

If it is a good card company they will work with you in order to keep your business. Last year our card company raised their yearly fee to almost double. I contacted them and told them I wanted to cancel my card, they asked why and I told them. They agreed to reduce the yearly rate to back to where it was before so I would keep the card. Doesn't mean to have to continue to use the card, cut it up! They won't know, they will think as long as the account is open that one day you will use it again, but in the mean time you will save a little money. Then when it is totally paid off, cancel the card. (12/06/2006)

By imaqt1962