Sealing Home-printed Photo Magnets

I got the cutest magnets for Mother's Day! They are photos of my grandsons that my daughter turned into magnets using her printer and magnetic paper. However, I'm not about to put them on the fridge in the kitchen, because I'm afraid they'll be ruined if they get wet or grimy, if something gets splattered on them, etc.

These magnets are just paper with the photo printed in printer ink. I have barely touched them since I got them, but the edges are already fraying a bit just from touching them to move them!

I'm trying to figure out how to seal them so they are protected. I've thought about spray sealer for crafts, but am afraid it might make the ink run. I've also thought about laminate or clear shelf paper to seal it, but don't know if that would work well either.

Anybody have any experience on the best way to preserve these? Thanks!

By lyonpridej from Tulsa, OK

Best Answer

I have used acrylic spray to seal printer ink, so that I could use print-outs for decoupage. If possible, ask your daughter to print out something (color) on plain paper so you can test the spray. Once you spray and let it dry, you could seal them further with decoupage medium for durability. The spray will have a strong odor for a few days, be warned!

Best Answer

At the Dollar store I bought a roll of clear contact paper. I've used it to "sandwich" lots of paper and fabric crafts I wanted to preserve.

Best Answer

My friend always prints pics on regular paper then just laminates them. They always turn out great too! I think you should try this as a liquid may ruin it. Good luck

You could buy a roll of clear packageing tape and cut it to size to cover the front.

Hobby / craft stores carry scrapbooking supply "glues" which are laminating. I can't think of any names at the moment. Modge Podge has one. (JoAnn's Fabrics). They make a clear shiny gloss over paper or other items.

Thanks for the ideas! They were kind of what I was thinking of anyway. I've used the clear contact paper to 'laminate' things for years & thought about that,except it wouldn't wrap around the magnet,so would expose & leave open the edges to damage. I didn't think about testing the spray on a piece of printed paper (where's my brain?), I may do that or try the Modge Podge stuff, sounds like both would work well to seal the entire thing. Thanks!

You could try clear nail polish to seal the photos and edges too.

A spray can of varnish.
Sealing Home-printed Photo Magnets
Crafts AdviceMay 15, 2011
Making a Jar Lid Photo Magnet
Making a Jar Lid Photo Magnet
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
Engagement Photo Ideas
Engagement Photo Ideas
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 10:03:50 AM on 10.0.1.214 in 781 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.