Donate School Clothes to the Schools

With school starting I wondered if there were children in need of clothing, especially middle and high school age. A lot of kids this age would be too proud to ask for help, and embarrassed not to have new clothes. Guidance counselors at schools usually would know of those in need. Call ahead to check to donate good clean clothing. If the school doesn't mind helping distribute to those in need, the kids can pick out their sizes and keep their dignity.

Top Comment

In Las Vegas, NV we have a program for elementary schools. Mainly the underprivileged ones It is called "Dry Bottoms". My woman's Bible study group donated sweatpants, new or used, shorts new or used and brand new underwear for both boys and girls. The sizes ranged from 4 to 12. This is for the kids that have accidents and can' t go home to change clothes. This way they can stay in school and not have to sit in the nurses office with wet or stained clothing.

It is a great mission. I went to garage sales and got a bunch for a really low price.

Top Comment

I see some others have suggested it also but I will repeat to say that when I worked in the elementary schools the nurse needed clothing all the time. Not just for "accidents", but if some child spilled soup or juice all over their clothes or that sort of thing. She needed everything from underwear to tops and pants for both boys and girls.

Top Comment

Schools also have a great need for coats, hats, and gloves. We donated all we could find out of my family and friends that were like new to the school nurse. She then gave them to the kids who needed them the most.

Top Comment

A wonderful and practical idea! Something else to be considered. Shirley Adams Coats4Kids. She has the sweetest little pattternless coat with video instructions. A church group could get together and make several of these in different sizes.

Top Comment

My group, ArizonansHelpingArizonans, has one member who is a teacher at our local school for homeless children, the largest in the country. The teachers and staff there are amazing! They have a food bank, clothing room, laundry and showers for the children, as well as other services for the children and their families. Like all other schools, they have been hit with budget cuts; teachers and staff and volunteers clean as they no longer have a janitorial staff. My daughter volunteers there and she tells me how amazing they all are. I can't wait until next orientation, as I and several members of my family will be going.

The teacher on our list keeps us informed of the needs at the school, as does my daughter.

These children need and deserve our help. One of them may be president some day.

Pat

When my boys were in school I did this but I took the clothes to another school so nobody saw another kid walking around in 'Glenn's shirt' and got teased. Also, the school keeps extra clothes around for accidents like falling in a puddle of mud. Most of the time the kid never returns the stuff which is alright because he/she most likely needed it anyway.

That's a very nice idea! I did not even think of that but do know kids can be mean about teasing about clothes.

If that doesn't work & you still feel you want to be helpfull & giving here is another very worthy cause:

Friends of Pine Ridge Reservation

is made up of individuals from across the globe who are interested in lending a hand to many reservation organizations...

http://www.frie … reservation.org/

there are more just as this one but I know of this one & have known people from there.

:)

This is a great idea. Each year, my church holds a "new school clothes drive". It's so important for a kids self esteem during those vulnerable school years to have a few new things. We start in late July, early August so people have time to take advantage of back-to-school sales.

What a wonderful idea! I love this & I will be checking with my kids schools on Monday.

I also donate clothes often, usually to a place like Plato's Closet. They have them in Florida where I live. I would much rather donate my clothes to a specific school in need, and thanks to your article, I will look into doing so in the near future.