Coffee Grounds for Clearing Drains

Coffee grains are great for compost, but they're also great for clearing drains. So don't throw them away, but flush them down your sink. It's really worked for me. I haven't had a problem with blocked pipes since a friend recommended this tip.

By lucy from Oxford UK

Actually, coffee grounds do clog plumbing pipe drains because they latch on to the regular gunk that naturally collects/builds within them. You've been really Blessed so far to not have your pipes back up. The only exception to the rule is if you're putting the grains/grounds in a kitchen sink that has a garbage disposal that grinds them up before they go down the kitchen drain pipes.

I know several plumbers and coffee grounds is a no-no. They say other than grease it is the worse. Sorry.

Whoever is reading this, please do not put coffee grounds down the sink! It is only luck that there is no problem so far!

So this may have worked for you... but please, if anyone is reading this ... DO NOT DO IT. I was actually searching the web trying to find a solution to clear my sink of coffee grounds. Coffee grounds are actually really bad for your sink and will clog it even worse or just plain clog it if you try. Whoever posted this is either joking orrrrr ... joking, there is no way you can believe that coffee grounds clears a sink. Please tell me you are joking, and this is a good lesson in checking and verifying information from an unknown source. This post actually really upsets me because people are looking to fix a problem and people are putting out answers that will make the problem worse.

Coffee grounds will clog drains.

Sink drain with water running into sink.
Clearing a Clogged Kitchen Sink Drain
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousApril 6, 2011
ground coffee
Uses for Coffee Grounds
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Beans
Cleaning With Coffee
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden