Use Dawn Detergent to Unclog a Drain

Category Plumbing
Cooking grease and the residue from shampoos and conditioners can clog your drains. Many people have success breaking up the clog with Dawn. This is a guide about use Dawn detergent to unclog drain.

If your kitchen sink is clogged with grease, the best thing I've ever found is Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. I plug the drain and put a huge squirt, maybe 1/2 cup, in the sink. Then I fill the sink with boiling water. Once it's full I pull the plug (use tongs or something, that water is HOT). Let it run down the drain and bingo, clean as a whistle. If it's really bad, you might have to do it twice, but I've never had to do it more than that. I had someone put bacon grease down and it was completely blocked with a wad of grease. It only took two applications to clear and it was one of this dinky trailer sinks.

Source: From my great friend and sister, Tracy!

By Irishwitch from Aurora, CO

Top Comment

I put the Dawn down the drain first, a couple of minutes before putting the water in. Then as soon as all the water is down the drain I put the plug in to keep the heat in longer. Worked great for me!

How do I use Dawn dish washing liquid to unclog a tub?

Karen from Newark, DE

Answers:

Dawn Detergent To Unclog Drain

A large pan of boiling water with a good size shot of Dawn in it, and then pour it down the drain. (09/25/2008)

By Janet

Dawn Detergent To Unclog Drain

Thank you mulberry204. I did just that (a pan of boiling water with dawn in it and pour it down the drain) and it worked. But then, I knew there was no hair in the drain, just 40 years worth of "mung" or "gunk" or something. Dawn probably wouldn't be able to "cut through" hair! (10/10/2008)

By rabbit

How do you unclog a drain with Dawn dish washing liquid?

Linde from Hanover, NH

Answers:

Dawn Detergent To Unclog Drain

What always works like a charm is baking soda and then pour white vinegar on it.
(12/15/2008)

By Jamie

Dawn Detergent To Unclog Drain

Dawn worked on a clog at least 10 feet down the pipes.

Details: I have 4 females in this house, and this one bathroom sink drain had been a constant problem. I became an expert with a metal snake to pull out hair clogs in the pipes. Well the snake went all the way in this time, and did not find the clog. Actually it somehow made the problem worse, from a slow drain to a complete plug.

I have tried the various chemicals in the past, and they would often work after 4-5 doses. So my wife suggested rd.com (and a past reader's digest article) through which I found this site.

Exactly what I did: This was a bathroom sink drain, totally stopped, and about half full of water already. I took a four quart pot, boiled water, and added lots of Dawn to the boiling water while my wife stirred. I dumped it into the clogged sink. We watched a movie and when it was over the drain was clear. I will note also that the Dawn we have is very old and sludgy, but it still worked. (12/24/2008)

By Eric

Load More