Where Can I Buy Walking Onions for Fall Planting?

Where can I buy walking onions sets to plant this fall? I would prefer to buy from a local farmer.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Pete from MD

Mmmmm, what are walking onions? That is a new term to me!

Sometimes called Egyption multipliers. Planted in the fall they produce early in the spring and are delicious. Allow some of the plants to mature and they will produe bulbs at the end of the stalk. The bulbs will fall over when mature. Harvest them in July and and allow them to dry. Now you can separate the bulbs and plant them in the fall agsin. You will never have to buy another onion bulb. Write if you want to know how to plant them.

I call them ornamental onions. Have them in the flower beds, looks beautiful for background and helps keeps pests/bugs away. I got starters from my neighbor. I pop the tops off and toss into areas on my yard that could use a filler, and they come.

Growing Tree Onions (Walking Onions)
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJune 20, 2010
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions