CarsRepair

Broken Heater in a Ford Explorer

I have a ford explorer my heater is blowing out cold air. It works for a week but then it stops. What should I do?

Robert

Look into the heater core or thermostat (not likely).

My first thoughts were thermostat and antifreeze level. I asked my husband about the heater core, and he said perhaps the lines running to the heater core have become clogged (rust). You can pull the line off and look, or pull the line off both ends and blow through to see if air is getting through. If not, that may be your problem. We've had a thermostat go out--so I knew that could be the problem. The reason antifreeze level was on my mind is because two years ago we were preparing to move from North Carolina to southern Wisconsin. We had our car "winterized" in preparation for the move. We'd been in Wisconsin about two weeks, and my husband and daughter were preparing to drive to northern Wisconsin. It was quite cold--okay, it was freezing out! The heater never started blowing warm air. They had driven about 30 minutes when they realized they would not be able to continue--it was freezing IN the car as well as outside! They returned home, went to a shop, and found that the antifreeze level, while "winterized" for North Carolina, wasn't any where near enough for a Wisconsin winter! Everything in the car had frozen up because the antifreeze was insufficient. Several hours later, my husband and daughter were on their way with a heater that was working properly. I'd definitely say check the antifreeze level!