Collect Water From Condensation Pipe

We bought a rain barrel this year. I noticed our condensation pipe for the central air conditioning was spitting water so I put an 8-gallon can underneath the pipe and it fills itself in 24 hours. I pour this water in our rain barrel so we can reuse it.

By waitress from Brick, NJ

My goodness but that sounds wasteful!

The electricity you used to condense that much water probably would cost out at something like $30 per quart.

It's really nice you can afford that. I can't so I use natural methods to keep cool.

I don't think it sounds that wasteful. I would think too it depends on the humidity in the room. Ours draws out a lot of moisture, what with cooking and showers and other things adding it to the air, and it could easily fill that bucket, because it was designed to dehumidify.

By the way, too, some people can't "afford" to use natural methods to keep cool. Some people have to stay cool, or at certain temperatures, because of certain physical / health conditions. At least waitress is giving back, or saving, in some areas.

Tomatohanger, please don't judge people who use a/c. My family has 3 people with MS, and they have to have cool air to survive! Waitress, our weather man (on the news) did an experiment with a/c condensation. He found it was full of bacteria, and didn't reccommend using it on plants you will eat. It is fine for ornamentals, trees, etc. I have room a/c's, and they drip onto our hedges, thus I never need to water them!

Tomatohanger, could you post some "natural" methods to keep cool? I would sure appreciate not having to use the one small a/c that we have, since the temperature where I live can go up to 110degrees! My son has asthma and he cant breathe when it gets very hot. I never waste the water and use it to water my pot plants or sweep it around on the ground in my stone flagged yard to cool it down so we, and our pet dog can actually be able to walk there without burning our feet! Yes, it gets that hot here in malta.

Some of us fall apart in the heat! & what with the dreadful heatwave in the East. A/C is definitely called for! Our a/c unit drains into the flower bed below. Definitely good for the garden. There was a good feature on yahoo recently about keeping cool over the summer, using fans, and so on. Even putting ice/frozen milk jug in front of the fan. I've done that. We have fans in almost every window and more & turn them on/off as the weather changes. Luckily here in So. Calif. the nights are cool, so if we put the fans on before we go to bed, it will cool the apartment significantly. We notice the difference when we have been gone for a few days, & the fans haven't been running!

Watering the Garden
Conserving Water in the Garden
Better Living Green Living ReusingJuly 16, 2010
woman watering in her garden
Using Greywater in the Garden
Bright Orange plastic mesh snow fence in a field of snow
Conserve Water With A Snow Fence
Condensation in Mobile Home
Condensation in Mobile Home
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
🎄