Reuse Air Conditioning Water in the Garden

Category Water
Conserving water is one of the primary things we can do to help the environment. Using the water from the drip tray of your air conditioner is a great way to dispose of the water. This is a guide about reuse air conditioning water in the garden.

We bought a rain barrel this year. I noticed our condensation pipe for the central air conditioning was spitting water so I put an 8-gallon can underneath the pipe and it fills itself in 24 hours. I pour this water in our rain barrel so we can reuse it.

By waitress from Brick, NJ

I noticed water coming from a pipe from in the attic of the house and traced it back to the unit for an air conditioner, that is in the attic of a lot of Florida homes. The pipe came out at the bottom of the foundation. I was installing a patio and didn't want the water running on to the patio.

I drilled a hole through the wall and moved the pipe coming out of the wall to where it was 7 feet off the ground, and made sure the pipe is at a slight angle so as the water runs free. I moved it outside of the patio area and put a fifty gallon garbage can under the pipe dripping and collect the water. I also installed a plastic valve at the bottom of the drum so I could hook up a hose to it and I water my garden with the water coming from the air condition unit. I have the plastic container off of the ground about a foot so as the water will drain out the hose.

With the weather so hot it takes about 1-2 days to fill the 50 gallon plastic garbage barrel. Usually the drain pipe is 3/4 or smaller plastic pipe

Source: None that I know of. I had an Air condition Rep. here to service it and he has been in business for over 10 year and never saw any thing like it before

By Leonard from S. Daytona,Fl.

Several years ago we lived in Texas during a rather long drought. My poor roses were suffering. Because we lived in an older home that didn't have central air, we used window air conditioners.

We noticed that there were puddles outside the windows with these air conditioners. We gathered some old five gallon buckets, and placed them under the drips.

Our buckets filled quite nicely. We were able to water my roses, my house plants, and a few vegetables that I had in containers on a daily basis. We are once again utilizing our free water, since we can barely afford the water bill with our basic usage.

By Brandy J. from Bowling Green, Missouri

We don't have a big garden. Just a tomato plant, some succulent plants and magnolia tree we try to give extra water too. We have a large window A/C unit in a spot where we can easily put a dish pan to collect the water that drips from it otherwise it would be all over the patio making a mess.

We started using that water on the above mentioned things and then began to thrive. We decided it was free of chlorine and maybe that was giving the plants a cleaner "drink" of water when we have some. It is so dry here and at times we don't have any.

By Bev from Uvalde, TX