Starting Plants from Seed

Winter is breaking, Spring is around the corner, and once again, I'm looking at all of the garden catalogs, but one thing is different this year. My husband lost his job, and we can't buy anything we want. Thank goodness I love starting plants from seed.

We have a local five and dime store that sells some seeds for 10 cents a packet, and that's what I will do. I will grow old favorites like cosmos, and maybe even marigolds, along with veggies like cucumbers, beets, radishes, pumpkins, and of course, tomatoes.

Being responsible for the soil flat, the soil, watering, then planting the seeds, and watching them sprout is very rewarding, then I grow them on, and transplant them outside, and watch them grow and blossom.

Being able to eat the rewards is also enriching. When my husband and I moved here, we had hardly any money. Because my mother had taught me how to grow seedlings, what I though would be a dismal year, turned into one of the most rewarding years I've ever had. I grew wonderful beets and radishes that I'd never grown before, and the few flowers we had took on a whole new meaning, and they came from those 10 cent seed packets that the five and dime stores sell.

To this day, it amazes me what beauty a person can grow from a tiny 10 cent seed packet. I can't wait to get to the five and dime store, and see what seeds they have for sale, so I can get started. I hope they have lettuces, too.

Even during hard times, I feel so rich because my mother taught me how to start plants from seed.

By Carol L. from South Bend, IN

Hi, thinking about starting seeds this year and was wondering. Do you start from your last frost date and plant the seeds about 6 weeks before this? Is this a good rule of thumb? phil

You have a wonderful, thankful heart!

You have such a wonderful attitude. I am sure that God blesses you and your gardening on a huge scale~ Thanks for sharing.

Hallo Carol

I read your lovely article and was very touched by your words. I have some packet seeds that I bought in a sale late last year and would happily send them to you, free of charge of course, if you would like them. Take care and keep appreciating the important things in life. Carol D x

To save even more money, save the seeds of whatever you plant - particularly the flowers. One way is to spread the seeds on a paper towel and they will dry on the towel. When you get ready to plant them, just pop them into the soil. Saving seeds used to be a common thing - our grandmothers always saved tomato, cucumber seeds, etc.

Seed Starts by Window
Starting Seeds Indoors
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsFebruary 25, 2010
sunflower with seeds in foreground
Using a Seed Exchange
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed