Food Cooked in New Electric Skillet Tastes Like Plastic

I'm having trouble with a new electric skillet that I got for Christmas. I have washed it several times and can not get the "new smell" out of it. It's making everything I cook in it have that "new smell" taste. I have even cooked onions and garlic in it thinking that would do it, but to no avail. I have heated it with and without oil and even tried bacon grease.

I just don't know what else to do. I thought I had conquered it last week and made fried potatoes and onions in it and they too tasted like burned plastic. I have never had this happen to me in all the years of cooking with new items. I am at the end of my rope and my daughter thinks I don't like it (she got it for me). Please help me out with this one.

By Marisa from MD

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By kathleen williams 76 1,662 01/22/2010

I suggest to return it to the place she got it from, good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Melanie Jackson 1 373 01/22/2010

Probably one of those "Made in China of Inferior Materials" appliances. I agree, return the skillet, and buy one of another brand. That bad taste could be a dangerous chemical being emitted by the skillet, for all anyone knows.

So play it safe, and get something better. :-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By marisa 3 53 01/23/2010

Just so you all know this is a name brand skillet,it's a Hamilton Beach.I also contacted the company but haven't heard back from them yet.I have never had any trouble with these products before.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cajun 59 327 02/06/2010

All is not lost and you can make your daughter a happy camper. Fill the skillet 3/4 full of a 50/50 solution of Vinegar [clear one] and water; place cover, bring to a boil and let set covered overnight [min. ~8 hours]. Pour into sink; wash skillet and let air dry for 5 minutes. If there is a vinegar smell, it'll only be a short term (5-10 minutes) issue and your skillet will bond the family once again.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Vi Johnson 286 801 03/17/2010

I have to agree with the other posts, Is there an 800 number on the box? Call it and tell them the problem. Sounds like you have a defected one.

Here is the information to a company that is U.S.A. made cook/bakeware. And no, I don't have stock in this company,wish I did. I'm making my Christmas list early. Buy U.S.A. when you can. Great Granny Vi

Nordic Ware ~ Makers of the original "Bundt Pan"
Phone 1-877-466-7342 m-f 8am-4pm CST
Nordic Ware
P.O. Box 16132
Minneaoplis, MN.

FAX 1-952-924-8561 24 hours a day

ONLINE- www.nordicware.com

Nordic Ware
5005 hwy 7
Minneapolis, MN.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No